Hot tub disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudeSaint

I am looking at hooking up a Hot tub. Its a used one and i got it pretty cheap from a friend. Ive hooked up hot tubs before but i have not seen one like this. The wiring diagram actually has a 20 and 30 am circuit. My question is what kind of disconnect would you use for this? ... I can not use just a regular Hot tub disconnect since they are for the most part just a 50amp gfci. Curious about what you guys think or have used if you have run across this situation.

Thanks in advance!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
These tubs use a panel (sometimes comes with it, sometimes not) with two circuits in it.
There is a 30A and a 20A. You could use a GFCI (1-20A, 1-30A) for each of them or use a 50A GFCI to feed two regular breakers.

JudeSaint

These tubs use a panel (sometimes comes with it, sometimes not) with two circuits in it.
There is a 30A and a 20A. You could use a GFCI (1-20A, 1-30A) for each of them or use a 50A GFCI to feed two regular breakers.

Since i would be feeding a 240 (the 30) and a 120 (the 20) would the 50amp gfci potentially cause some issues with sensing imbalance?
Either way i think ill just feed a sub panel with a regular 50 and use a 20 and 30 gfci

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The ones I've seen used 2p (240v) for both the 20a and 30a supplies.

In your case, I'd suggest two GFCI breakers, each suited to its load.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Since i would be feeding a 240 (the 30) and a 120 (the 20) would the 50amp gfci potentially cause some issues with sensing imbalance?
Either way i think ill just feed a sub panel with a regular 50 and use a 20 and 30 gfci

No imbalance, but you might have better luck with two GFCI breakers. That way if one trips you would know better where to look for problems.

The ones I've seen used 2p (240v) for both the 20a and 30a supplies.

In your case, I'd suggest two GFCI breakers, each suited to its load.

I think you're right in that both circuits are 240V and require 2-P breakers. It's been a while since I did one but best I remember that's what they were.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I'm not mistaken, the 30a circuit is for the heater and the 20a circuit is for the motor(s).

FionaZuppa

Occupation
Part Time Electrician (semi retired, old) - EE retired.
You asking about a disco, and your feed is 240v with the center tap N.

Piggy back or side-side a small Siemens disco (LNF222R) with a small 4 slot panel. I use std ocpd in main panel and use gfi's in the sub panel. my 4 slot sub has one 240v and two 120v gfi ocpd's. I piggy back the two nema 3R boxes near the tub using NEC sight rules for the disco. I like having a std lever style disco to kill all the power to the sub panel, this removes any fumbling with opening a panel door to get at a ocpd in emergency, usually with wet hands if a tub or pool is involved. One fast swipe of the external disco handle and all the power is dead. I also keep both nema boxes (doors) locked so that hands stay out, and if a ocpd trips someone with a key needs to come (usually an adult homeowner who understands that if the gfi ocpd tripped then everyone gets out and away before turning it back on, then inspected as to why a fault occurred), etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.