Emt pipe bending

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another idea: It seems like lots of people are saying they band offsets with the pipe on the floor and the bender handle sticking up. I always bend offsets with the bender shoe up and handle on the ground (except for 1 1/4!). This gives you a nice site line to compare the pipe to the angle on the bender shoe. OP not sure which way you were doing it, but something to try, maybe that will work better for you.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Another idea: It seems like lots of people are saying they band offsets with the pipe on the floor and the bender handle sticking up. I always bend offsets with the bender shoe up and handle on the ground (except for 1 1/4!). This gives you a nice site line to compare the pipe to the angle on the bender shoe. OP not sure which way you were doing it, but something to try, maybe that will work better for you.
That reminded me! (This was years ago, before I lost the weight.)

Bending, using only a folding rule and pencil:

DSC00332.jpg DSC00333.jpg

After bending:

DSC00336.jpg Dsc00337.jpg

Installing them:

Dsc00340.jpg Dsc00342.jpg

We had to route four 3/4" EMTs frum inside a vertical I-beam to outside of it, withing a limited space in the ceiling.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent

I will often start my bend in the air and end it on the floor. Bending in the air requires much more technique to keep the kinks and ripples out of it.

Gary11734

One thing that's never mention, taught or talked about is.......... which direction you bend the pipe with the bender.

In other words, do you bend it always towards the same end......... or are you bending it first towards one end, and the second bend towards the other end? Some bends are the former, some bends are the latter.

Bend to the work, use the heal. Turn it from your work, use the star....

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
OH, and is just dawned on me. It is possible you are measuring wrong. the measurement would be from the floor to the BOTTOM of the conduit, not the top of the conduit. Just in case.

That was my first thought too.

deec

the only suggestion i would make is to make sure you are measuring the offset from bottom to bottom not bottom to top of the conduit.

xformer

Occupation
Master Electrician
Hello guys I'm fairly new at bending emt for offsets and such.

I use the following rules.

10 degree bends equals multiple of 6
22.5 degree bends equals multiple of 2.6
30 degree bends equals multiple of 2.

So this weekend I bought a klien bender bought some 5 foot sticks of 3/4 pipe and tried my hand at multiple offset bends.

Problem I was having was I would always end up with a level offset but 3/4 of an inch too much of a bend. Why does this happen am I putting too much of a bend in it or am I putting too little of a bend in it?

Everytime I do the math for for the distance between my marks. I mark the pipe bend it at the desired line on the bender(30degrees) flip it 180 degrees and bend at second mark...

How do I fix this and become consistent with exactly what I want instead of 3/4 inches higher than I want to be with my offset?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The multiplier for 10 degree bend is actually 5.75 If you are using 6... the more distance between bends the further the error.

I will often start my bend in the air and end it on the floor. Bending in the air requires much more technique to keep the kinks and ripples out of it.

Just to be clear I was talking about bending offsets, typically using 30 degrees or less, in the air. I dont have any trouble with kinks or ripples. 90's I bend with the pipe on the floor.

1 1/4 laughs at me !!!

Me too! Also spectators laugh at me. Because I am light, I have a jumping-balancing-repeat system that might look like some sort of modern dance :D

electron flow

Hello guys I'm fairly new at bending emt for offsets and such.

I use the following rules.

10 degree bends equals multiple of 6
22.5 degree bends equals multiple of 2.6
30 degree bends equals multiple of 2.

So this weekend I bought a klien bender bought some 5 foot sticks of 3/4 pipe and tried my hand at multiple offset bends.

Problem I was having was I would always end up with a level offset but 3/4 of an inch too much of a bend. Why does this happen am I putting too much of a bend in it or am I putting too little of a bend in it?

Everytime I do the math for for the distance between my marks. I mark the pipe bend it at the desired line on the bender(30degrees) flip it 180 degrees and bend at second mark...

How do I fix this and become consistent with exactly what I want instead of 3/4 inches higher than I want to be with my offset?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Electricians guide to pipe bending by Richard A Cox is a great book.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Just to be clear I was talking about bending offsets, typically using 30 degrees or less, in the air. I dont have any trouble with kinks or ripples. 90's I bend with the pipe on the floor.

I kind of figured this. The thing about bending pipe is that telling someone the way they are doing it is wrong is like telling a person they don't form their letters right when writing. It is personal an unique. I am used to teaching and/or reinforcing bending techniques as many of us are over the years. I stepped back from, "This is how you do it." to "This is how I do it." And I specifically tell all "students" that in my opinion there are tons of ways to bend pipe, but two basic "correct" approaches, tape measure first and hacksaw second, and hacksaw first and tape measure second. Neither is right or wrong, but each is more appropriate in each given situation, so learn how to bend with and without a tape measure if you want to be the best. Then I try to show them how to not kink the pipe when bending both on the ground and in the air. I feel the formulas the OP was asking about are well learned from a book. Technique is much better learned in person.

Status
Not open for further replies.