Rigid Outside Coupling

Status
Not open for further replies.

moraless01

Hello all. First time poster, forgive me if this is in the wrong sub-forum or I'm formatting it incorrectly.

I am swapping out a new service and the POCO requires their incoming wire to be at least 3' above an existing garage that the wires go over.

I only need about 3' more of rigid to achieve the height on the mast to do so.. but here is where my question comes in.

Is there a 2" rigid coupling (for threadless ends) that is approved to be used outside? I see a few compression couplings but they all say they are rated for indoor use or just "concrete tight".

In the past we have just used the threaded couplings the sticks of rigid come with, but in this situation I need at least two supports after a coupling (strut, structure, guy wire). Being that its such a short piece of rigid the only way I can meet this requirement is if I have my 3" stick threaded into my meter hub and then a coupling, followed by my 10' stick. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

MAC702

There are suppliers of 20' sticks of RMC, also. You might get lucky and have one near enough to you.

I had the same situation once. I used a 4' piece, threaded by the supplier, then added a 10' stick to that, so I was solid throughout the aerial.

Konkore Raintite fittings

Konkore Raintite fittings

Hello all. First time poster, forgive me if this is in the wrong sub-forum or I'm formatting it incorrectly.

I am swapping out a new service and the POCO requires their incoming wire to be at least 3' above an existing garage that the wires go over.

I only need about 3' more of rigid to achieve the height on the mast to do so.. but here is where my question comes in.

Is there a 2" rigid coupling (for threadless ends) that is approved to be used outside? I see a few compression couplings but they all say they are rated for indoor use or just "concrete tight".

In the past we have just used the threaded couplings the sticks of rigid come with, but in this situation I need at least two supports after a coupling (strut, structure, guy wire). Being that its such a short piece of rigid the only way I can meet this requirement is if I have my 3" stick threaded into my meter hub and then a coupling, followed by my 10' stick. Am I missing something here? Thanks.

I have used the Konkore Raintite connectors and they seem to work.

Here is a link to the couplings. http://www.konkorefittings.com/rigid-fittings/universal-5-piece-coupling/

"Requested page could not be found"

A 2" rigid threadless compression connector that is water tight would also work. Anybody got any leads on those?

256mrt is the part number. So there are a few out there that are raintight. I was in your situation once and couldn't find anyone to thread a piece for me. I think I ended up using two 12" nipples since I couldn't get that coupling in time.

bkludecke

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
In these situations we screw the factory threaded end of the nipple into the hub and then use a threadless connector on the upper end of the nipple, with the threads facing up, then a coupling and the next length of pipe. It might not be 100% legal as far as listings go but it is definitely weather tight and approved by both the AHJ and POCO here.

kwired

Electron manager
waiting for a threadless to arrive or even consideration of it's cost may make it well worth getting a piece threaded by someone that can thread it. If you have a plumber or HVAC friend, you may just owe them a favor if they can thread it for you.

Some supply houses or home centers may be able to thread for you.

Places that do machine work should be able to thread it also.

Status
Not open for further replies.