Solar Panel Clearance to Serviceable Equipment On Roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkapigian

Good Day Everyone

There are codes for pathways for the fire Department from edge of roof and pathways across the roof, I cannot find were it,says anything about clearance to serviceable equipment ...seeing more and more Solar right up against access panels and no way to get to the equipment, I cannot seem to find the verbiage in the code books other than pathways and walkways on the roof

Thanks In Advance

pv_n00b

Putting a PV array on a roof is going to impact accessibility to equipment so it's not going to be as easy as it was before PV but there needs to be an allowance for people to do O&M work on their equipment. I do not know of any code that calls this out though and I have never heard of an AHJ saying you can't put PV there because then you can't work on that RTU. So it seems it's going to be an education issue for PV designers and engineers, design with accessibility to all roof mounted equipment in mind. Everyone needs to work together.

pv_n00b

NEC 110.26 does not say anything about providing access to the side panel that lets someone replace a fan belt. It only covers electrical access.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Irrespective of code, I always leave access pathways all the way around RTU's and other things that could need servicing. Clearance around hatchways and skylights are covered by building codes.

lkapigian

NEC 110.26 does not say anything about providing access to the side panel that lets someone replace a fan belt. It only covers electrical access.

In this instance and most RESI applications it would be for the electrical compartment and components

Status
Not open for further replies.