Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do I site, or walk , as straight line to mark a conduit Run w/o a Survey Transit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I site, or walk , as straight line to mark a conduit Run w/o a Survey Transit

We're dropping 400' feet of 1 inch conduit into the ground. I have to mark a straight line line with a Marking Wand for the Utility Locate and the Backhoe.
    Best thing is to have someone set a survey transit up and watch me -if I wander out of the walking Path-I get a yell to correct my direction.
    Does anyone have any suggestions/ Follow a pickup with a steering wheel held dead center?

Not the birightest question someone has ever posted on this forum, but I might get some helpful feedback.

Stand at point A, pick a landmark inline with point B and start walking. You can also use a compass.

Roger

Comment

How flat is the ground? Maybe just lay out a rope.

Comment

Originally posted by 480sparky View Post
        How flat is the ground? Maybe just lay out a rope.
        Or get a plumb bob with lots of string.

Comment

I’ve used a bucket of pull string. Drive a stake at each end of where you want to go, tie string to one end, tighten and tie off at other end, then run your marker along the string.
          Cheap easy way to make a nice straight line. Finding someone who can run a trencher straight along that line........well maybe another story.

Comment

I have yet to meet a digger that can dig a straight line.....~RJ~

Comment

Take a laser level or pointer and set it at point A pointed at point B. Starting at point B, walk toward point A while verifying the laser dot is hitting you. Mark the ground with spray paint as you go. This procedure is best done when it's dark out.

A string will bow. A laser will not.

Comment

Originally posted by roger View Post
                Stand at point A, pick a landmark inline with point B and start walking. You can also use a compass.

Roger
                Do not do this after drinking alcoholic beverages!!

Comment

Originally posted by mopowr steve View Post
                  I’ve used a bucket of pull string. Drive a stake at each end of where you want to go, tie string to one end, tighten and tie off at other end, then run your marker along the string.
                  Cheap easy way to make a nice straight line. Finding someone who can run a trencher straight along that line........well maybe another story.
                  It helps if you mow the grasses along the path of the string-- fewer snags to make the line crooked!

Comment

well at least its 1" SCH 40 conduit so I don't have too worry too much. Now if it was 12 inch SCH 80

Comment

Originally posted by Installer View Post
                      well at least its 1" SCH 40 conduit so I don't have too worry too much. Now if it was 12 inch SCH 80
                      Do you really think you will be able to achieve a perfectly straight conduit in a 400 foot underground run? Get close and put metallic burial tape in the trench, it can be located when ever needed.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
                        Take a laser level or pointer and set it at point A pointed at point B. Starting at point B, walk toward point A while verifying the laser dot is hitting you.
                        just tec screw it to the diggers head.....~RJ~

Comment

Exactly. Why does it need to be perfectly straight?? I've never even given that a thought with the miles of cable and pipe I buried. Get a pavement marker paint can and walking handle and start walking. Chances are you are going to have to go around something that's buried anyway.

-Hal

Comment

He didn't say it needed to be perfectly straight. But, you do want to lay out a somewhat straight line for the backhoe operator. It's a lot easier to walk that line with the paint, than it is for him to just dig without it, especially since he may very well be driving backward while doing so. The idea in post #2 is usually more than sufficient.

Comment

[COLOR="#800000"]I keep a close watch on UG’s of mine
                              I keep my eyes wide open all the time
                              I know most diggers can’t dig straight lines
                              Because it's mine, I walk the line

I find it very easy to transit, tape or string
                              I find myself admitting it’s just not their thing
                              Yes, I'll submit that I've a tool for you

As sure as night is dark and day is light
                              There's just no way to make two wrongs a right
                              And litigation proves only deep pockets right

They've given me these codes to keep by my side