How do I site, or walk , as straight line to mark a conduit Run w/o a Survey Transit

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
I keep a close watch on UG’s of mine
I keep my eyes wide open all the time
I know most diggers can’t dig straight lines
Because it's mine, I walk the line

I find it very easy to transit, tape or string
I find myself admitting it’s just not their thing
Yes, I'll submit that I've a tool for you

As sure as night is dark and day is light
There's just no way to make two wrongs a right
And litigation proves only deep pockets right

They've given me these codes to keep by my side
But none of them will matter if they want my hide
And it's a given that i'll never turn that tide

~R(w/apologies to the man in black)J~

I know of at least 3 men in black (well, 5):

Johnny Cash

Roy Orbison

Dread Pirate Roberts

Smith & Jones

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Someone asked why it needed to be straight, remember that the 360 degrees worth of bends is not just 90's or what ever, in 400' I've seen lots of runs that could possibly have more bending than allowed.

I have one now in a much shorter run that has 4 90's and a long radius bend. Now I don't have to pull it and I'm not that big of "you know what" to call that, but.......

around here, da POCO requires 12' radius sweeps underground, as it doesn't count as a 90 to them,
so they end up with two 90's, one at each end.

the real reason we are limited to 4 90's is that the electricity gets dizzy if it turns too much.
remember it's going close to the speed of light, and sharp turns at that speed are upsetting.

oldsparky52

around here, da POCO requires 12' radius sweeps underground, as it doesn't count as a 90 to them,
so they end up with two 90's, one at each end.

Some years ago, I was upgrading the electrical at a marina and the PoCo wanted to move some transformers in the process. They sent a 4-man crew out to do the work. They installed a 2" conduit from where the old transformer was to where the new location would be (this is a city owned PoCo). As they finished the conduit work and before they started to backfill, I mentioned to the foreman that 6 90's was a little much to be pulling through. Of course I got the I know what I'm doing routine stay out of my business.

Well, I had a good chuckle when they had to dig down and find the 90 they were hung up in. I think they used a steel cable to pull their wire and it burned through a 90 (I believe it was the 5th on from where they started their pull) and the pulling stopped when the conductors got there (5th 90). I really enjoyed watching that know it all deal with this, but had sense enough to mind my own business at that moment. :lol:

growler

get some form string.
drive a stick at each end of the run.
pull the string tight between them.

It's hard to go wrong with just the basics.

I once saw some guys trying to set up a laser to level the ceiling of a bathroom ( only about 6' X 8' ). There was a perfectly good 4 ft level right there. How much more level will you get with a laser ?

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
I had to Ditch Witch a 900 foot trench for poco to run a gas line in, and since I could see the entire (flat) run plus another several hundred feet, I just put a tall stake in the ground at the end, and another 200 feet past the end. As I ran the machine, I just kept both lined up (sort of like the sights on a rifle).

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The diggers around here stretch a string tight, and then walk down it spray painting marks. If you couldn't do it all in one shot, you may be able to break the run up into halves or thirds with the string method.

I had to Ditch Witch a 900 foot trench for poco to run a gas line in, and since I could see the entire (flat) run plus another several hundred feet, I just put a tall stake in the ground at the end, and another 200 feet past the end. As I ran the machine, I just kept both lined up (sort of like the sights on a rifle).

I've done similar with lining up a hood ornament on a Ditch Witch.

kwired

Electron manager
Most electrical runs yes, get a reference point on your machine and keep it pointed at a target. If you need precision then you may need a string, but that kind of precision often isn't needed on electrical runs. Building footing trenches- yes.

For other utility locating - if your proposed path is close at all to an existing utility - they generally will locate anything within 20 or depending on circumstances even within 100 feet of your proposed path.

Status
Not open for further replies.