Dent ElitePro

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
190517-2052 EST

dema:

I have not. The answer to your question.

If you provide a link to a very specific discussion by the manufacturer, then this might provide some more comment.

I have played with both the Kill-A-Watt EZ and the TED system. Mostly with the original TED.

The Kill-A-Watt EZ does a very good job within its voltage and current limitations, 120 V nominal, possibly 90 to 130, and 15 A. Better than the TED on reactive loads. The Kill-A-Watt uses a resistive current sensor, and thus no current phase shift. Even with a very low PF load, a polypropylene capacitor, the measurements are good. A slight qualification is that some units don't display correct PF, which is 0 on this type of capacitor. Add some shunt resistance and the PF reads correctly. I have found product quality to be poor, but design seems to be good. I can make effective use of the Kill-A-Watt for some loads and it is inexpensive, about $30 at Home Depot. Also it is a useful meter to measure 120 V to 0.1 V resolution for voltage drop measurements. I can measure with 0.1 W resolution up to about 100 W.

The TED system uses current transformers, necessary for many types of measurement. In their system moderate phase shift occurs. Thus, added errors for certain measurements. TED system provides data collection, short time averaging is 1 or 2 or more seconds.

You can see some of my TED measurements at
http://beta-a2.com/energy.html .
These originally derive from 1 second average measurements. The longer averages are derived from the shorter 1 sec averages.

Status
Not open for further replies.