Do breakers ever get "weak"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
...as in trip too soon or easily? This is one of those things people ask or say a lot, but I can't recall actually seeing a single instance in my career.

Yes they do. I have replaced at least 2 main 200 amp breakers one of which was tripping with less than a 60 amp load

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
The contacts get worn, creating high resistance, which creates excessive heat and tricks the breaker into thinking there is an overload condition.

I've replaced 3 800's in the last couple years at one customers facility for this reason.

A FOP test will show this.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry, I’m having a hard time figuring this one out. What’s an FOP test?
FOP = Fall Of Potential

It means measuring the voltage between the line and load terminal of one pole at a time. You're looking for voltage drop where there shouldn't be any. In theory, there should be zero volts across a closed switch or breaker.

I would check the line current with a clamp-on ammeter.

Tony S

One of my worries is not a breaker being a bit twitchy in its old age and opening too early but not opening at all. A breaker has sat there for years minding its own business, not troubling anyone until it has to wake up and actually do what it’s supposed to do.

Two scenarios diametrically opposed.

kwired

Electron manager
Anything that creates undesired heat within is going to increase the possibility of tripping on thermal, can even be heat that originates at a termination or bus connection and is conducted to interior of the unit.

kwired

Electron manager
I could see that, but what isn't clear to me is how the mag function would go bad to make it trip early.

I see mechanical wear being a bigger issue that may affect mag function, could make it trip easier or could make it need higher mag field to make it trip, depends on what/how an item wears out.

kwired

Electron manager
That would more likely be from mechanical wear from being used daily as a switch rather than just age.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
And could make it trip at higher or lower fault current depending on wear conditions I would think, or at very least affect clearing time compared to when it was new.

StarCat

Industrial Engineering Tech
Occupation
Imdustrial Engineering Technician - HVACR Electrical and Mechanical Systems
Too Many....

Too Many....

FOP = Fall Of Potential

It means measuring the voltage between the line and load terminal of one pole at a time. You're looking for voltage drop where there shouldn't be any. In theory, there should be zero volts across a closed switch or breaker.

I would check the line current with a clamp-on ammeter.

There are TOO MANY, WAY TOO MANY ACRONYMS, and they are becoming bothersome for this reason. There are other aspects about them which make them even more distasteful that there is no need to go into. Some of the exact same ones cross over into completely different trades and mean different things.
There needs to be as master list on the forum possibly.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
There are TOO MANY, WAY TOO MANY ACRONYMS, and they are becoming bothersome for this reason. There are other aspects about them which make them even more distasteful that there is no need to go into. Some of the exact same ones cross over into completely different trades and mean different things.
There needs to be as master list on the forum possibly.

Good point, especially since I would not use FOP to describe what I would call a voltage drop test across the terminals of the breaker.

When I hear Fall of Potential used, I pretty much instantly think about grounding electrode resistance tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.