cloth covered wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peter d View Post
    Agreed, old BX with cloth and rubber insulated conductors is the single most dangerous wiring method in existence. It's far more dangerous than K&T or ungrounded first generation romex. It needs to be 100% replaced. I've had a similar experience where a short circuit on a BX wired circuit caused a huge arc flash and burned the wall as a result. I would not sleep well in a house with that danger lurking behind walls.

I would not touch a house with BX unless it was a total rewire. It's either going or I'm not working on it.
    Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
    That's interesting and counter-intuitive. Enclosing the conductors in steel would seem to make it more safe, not less. (yes, I did read the previous posts in this thread)

I wonder if it was less of a problem when it was popular for new installations, (which was when, 1930-1960?) when available fault currents weren't as high and panels had fuses -- which would have been somewhat current-limiting, even if the "current limiting" concept hadn't emerged yet?
    Enclosing in steel is actually part of the problem. I've usually not been able to cut BX with a rotosplitter, have to score with a hacksaw and twist to break. That bit of twisting is enough to damage conductor insulation, which is nearly always brittle to begin with. I'm all in favor of fixing what can be fixed but it's time for BX to be laid to rest. Save some for the museum (do we have one?) but scrap the rest.
    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
      When dealing with insulation falling off of the wires, I try to remove all I can, even into the sheath, and slip a length of the correct color of insulation stripped from modern NM onto the wire.

If you measure it carefully, or trim it after you slide or twist it onto the bare wire, the splice will keep it fully on the wire. Sometimes, you need to use insulation from wire one size larger.
      Is that post sarcasm or serious? I cannot tell. Either way, where is the added step to keep it all in place by filling he end with RTV?

Comment

Originally posted by junkhound View Post
        Is that post sarcasm or serious? I cannot tell. Either way, where is the added step to keep it all in place by filling he end with RTV?
        Serious. What made you think otherwise?

I hadn't thought of sealant.
        Master Electrician
        Electrical Contractor
        Richmond, VA

Comment

I’ve had to do the insulation slip trick before. Not high on my list for preferred methods, but it does the job.

The two blacks and a white in what was a 14/2G is not mine.
          Tom
          TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
            Serious. What made you think otherwise?
            Admit to doing same in my mother's 120 YO house for a temp fix, but replaced run later.

Thinking 'not serious' in context of the previous few comments on liability, code, AHJ, etc.
            Not being a code expert, wonder what section addresses that type corrective action?

Comment

Not being a code expert, wonder what section addresses that type corrective action?
              None that I know of.

-Hal

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                None that I know of.

-Hal
                Nothing prohibits it either if it isn't addressed.

I generally have used shrink tube instead of insulation from another conductor for such repairs.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

I too use heat shrink to cover those damaged conductors. 600 volts per layer rating is good enough for me. But for abrasion resistance sometimes I use more layers if I see an issue in the box. Larry's use of new insulation covers the abrasion issue.

Glad I sold dad's BX wired house 10 years ago!
                  Fredericksburg, VA

21 Hours from Winged Horses with traffic;)

Comment

Working...
                  X