Photocell load rating ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

Hi.. Installed 3 low voltage landscape transformers which I would like have energized via a photo cell. They total 600 watts and have toroidal cores.
I went through the photocells at the supply house and of all the manufacturers and VA, they all seam to say rated for tungsten and ballast loads..
Should these tungsten-ballast rated photocells be ok to operate an inductive load??

Thank you

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The problem, if there is one, will not be because of the inductive load but rather the inrush caused by core saturation and hysteresis when the applied voltage has a random phase at the point the switch closes. As long as there is a load on the transformer, there will not be a large voltage surge on the primary contacts on opening.

ritelec

My original thought was a contactor then i thought if the photo cell would handle it why not just the photo cell.... I would probably install a timer with the photo cell to have it turn off at some designated time rather than having the lights on all night.
Now I'm considering this Honeywell timer... I think it can be set for dusk and a set time off that will adjust itself for daylight savings time so it doesn't have to be adjusted twice a year. It also looks like it's rated for the load...

I HATE programing these timers, but I think it may be a good way to go...

Please confirm..

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Honeywe...=sku&msclkid=7afcbcf414961193f618e014b2131bc6

Thank you

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've programmed enough of them that I can do it without the instructions.

I don't know whether I'm bragging or complaining. :roll:

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you are leaning towards timer if you haven't already check this one out. This is one of many in the Leviton line of wifi timer switches an dimmers.
Leviton R01-DW15S-1RZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.