Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switch rating on a circuit ?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Switch rating on a circuit ?

    A 20amp single pole circuit feeds a duplex receptacle through a single poll toggle switch,

    The duplex receptacle can be rated at 15 amp. Should the switch be rated at 15 or 20 amp?

    Wondering ?

    Thank you
    " I'm at a crucial part of my painting "...........Monika Danneman

    #2
    Try 404.14 (F) seems to indicate that the switch would be rated for the breaker size or 20 amps.

    Exception: where a snap switch is used to control not more than one receptacle on a branch circuit the switch shall be permitted to be rated at not more than the receptacle.

    If you have a single switched 15 amp receptacle then the switch could be rated at 15 amps.
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by growler View Post
      Try 404.14 (F) seems to indicate that the switch would be rated for the breaker size or 20 amps.

      Exception: where a snap switch is used to control not more than one receptacle on a branch circuit the switch shall be permitted to be rated at not more than the receptacle.

      If you have a single switched 15 amp receptacle then the switch could be rated at 15 amps.
      True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
      Rob

      Moderator

      All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by infinity View Post
        True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
        No, but you could have multiple receptacles with only 1 switched.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by infinity View Post
          True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
          If you have four 15 amp duplex receptacles on a 20 amp circuit, and four snap switches, each controlling a single receptacle, you'd be OK.

          Comment


            #6
            If switched by a 15A switch, can the receptacle be a 15A duplex, or must it be a single?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
              If switched by a 15A switch, can the receptacle be a 15A duplex, or must it be a single?
              I don't think it can be a duplex unless the switch is rated for the circuit OCP.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                If switched by a 15A switch, can the receptacle be a 15A duplex, or must it be a single?

                You could switch half of the duplex by breaking the tab and leave the other side hot all the time.

                The idea is that the switch has to be rated for the highest load that can be connected. What is the highest load that can be connected to a single 15 amp receptacle? If you switch a duplex you could plug in two appliances that could exceed the 15 amp rating.
                The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Never given this any thought before. Seen 15 amp switches many times on 20 amp circuits supplying multiple receptacles.
                  I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by kwired View Post
                    Never given this any thought before. Seen 15 amp switches many times on 20 amp circuits supplying multiple receptacles.
                    I'm sure that plenty of them have passed inspection because no one really gives it a second thought.

                    I doubt that it would be considered dangerous, if a switch goes bad it just goes bad.
                    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by infinity View Post
                      True, but can a single 15 amp receptacle be on a 20 amp circuit?
                      A single duplex‚Äč can.
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X