Rest room exhaust fan controlled by motion sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mtfallsmikey

We have a 1/5 h.p. 120v. 6.5 amp exhaust fan that serves 2 locker rooms adjacent to a fitness center in one of my buildings, currently has no operating control whatsoever, would like to connect it thru a ceiling mount occ. sensor mounted in a vestibule between the 2 locker rooms, can someone recommend an appropriate occ. sensor to use?

kwired

Electron manager
We have a 1/5 h.p. 120v. 6.5 amp exhaust fan that serves 2 locker rooms adjacent to a fitness center in one of my buildings, currently has no operating control whatsoever, would like to connect it thru a ceiling mount occ. sensor mounted in a vestibule between the 2 locker rooms, can someone recommend an appropriate occ. sensor to use?
My only issue with operating it from the vestibule is that people likely spend more time in the locker room(s) than in the vesitbule and it may not run when you want it to run.

I'd probably make it run anytime locker room lights are on. The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
Use 2-pole switches, with the second poles connected in parallel.

Lights independent, fan in common. Simple OR gate. ;)

mtfallsmikey

My only issue with operating it from the vestibule is that people likely spend more time in the locker room(s) than in the vesitbule and it may not run when you want it to run.

I'd probably make it run anytime locker room lights are on. The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.

Good idea, but I don't want to over-engineer this. The doors to the locker rooms are on the right and left side of the vestibule, the sensor would pick up movement from anyone entering that area, regardless of which locker room they enter, would start the fan, we would set it up to run for 30 min. The elec. contr. we used on the recent remodeling project sent me info on a couple of different sensors that are rated for use for that size of motor.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The doors to the locker rooms are on the right and left side of the vestibule, the sensor would pick up movement from anyone entering that area, regardless of which locker room they enter, would start the fan, we would set it up to run for 30 min.
That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.

mtfallsmikey

That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.

True, this is not a huge concern. Hopefully at some point, we will install a relay system tied to our EMS, and have the fan operate under the occupied TOD schedule for lighting, and HVAC operation

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
If you’ve ever walked in to a gym locker room early in the morning the smell is atrocious. I’d keep the fan running 24/7.

I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.

kwired

Electron manager
True, this is not a huge concern. Hopefully at some point, we will install a relay system tied to our EMS, and have the fan operate under the occupied TOD schedule for lighting, and HVAC operation

I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.

Previous tenants installed the locker rooms/fan, it used to run 24/7, I've been directed not to do that.

Don't know size of the facility, hours of operation, but if anything a programmable wall switch style timer may cost less than the occupancy sensor and can be set to run a while before the place opens for the day.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Occupancy sensor for just the fans or fans and lights? If I were in the locker area for 31 minutes by myself and the lights went out, I would be a VERY unhappy camper. I probably wouldn’t care about the fans going off though, unless I was in there for another 30 minutes, so it might actually help prevent lingering. There are some lingerers at my gym. They just hang around yakking and primping to the point where they are in there when I arrive and change, then when I come back in to shower, they are still there! It only bugs me when I can’t get a locker during the busiest hours, but I wish those guys would just go yak somewhere else.

mtfallsmikey

Don't know size of the facility, hours of operation, but if anything a programmable wall switch style timer may cost less than the occupancy sensor and can be set to run a while before the place opens for the day.

Actually, from my research, the timer is more $$ than the occ. sensor, motor rated that is.

Occupancy sensor for just the fans or fans and lights? If I were in the locker area for 31 minutes by myself and the lights went out, I would be a VERY unhappy camper. I probably wouldn’t care about the fans going off though, unless I was in there for another 30 minutes, so it might actually help prevent lingering. There are some lingerers at my gym. They just hang around yakking and primping to the point where they are in there when I arrive and change, then when I come back in to shower, they are still there! It only bugs me when I can’t get a locker during the busiest hours, but I wish those guys would just go yak somewhere else.

No lights, just the fan will be on this. My bet is we'll set it up to run on the HVAC TOD schedule when we get tenants, building currently empty.

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
Is there showers in the locker area?
If so I'd also look at a humidistat.

Maybe there is also a smellistat for the odors. :D

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
The other alternative is to have a smaller fan, or the main fan at low speed, running 24/7 for odor and moisture control, but high speed fan when actually in use. If the locker room has showers, a humidistat may be needed in parallel with any occupancy sensor.

kwired

Electron manager
The other alternative is to have a smaller fan, or the main fan at low speed, running 24/7 for odor and moisture control, but high speed fan when actually in use. If the locker room has showers, a humidistat may be needed in parallel with any occupancy sensor.

Or an ERV if the main concern is heating/cooling costs being pumped out the building.

Status
Not open for further replies.