Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rest room exhaust fan controlled by motion sensor

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Rest room exhaust fan controlled by motion sensor

    We have a 1/5 h.p. 120v. 6.5 amp exhaust fan that serves 2 locker rooms adjacent to a fitness center in one of my buildings, currently has no operating control whatsoever, would like to connect it thru a ceiling mount occ. sensor mounted in a vestibule between the 2 locker rooms, can someone recommend an appropriate occ. sensor to use?
    Mt. Falls, Va.
    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
    A licensed electrically-related individual

    #2
    Originally posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
    We have a 1/5 h.p. 120v. 6.5 amp exhaust fan that serves 2 locker rooms adjacent to a fitness center in one of my buildings, currently has no operating control whatsoever, would like to connect it thru a ceiling mount occ. sensor mounted in a vestibule between the 2 locker rooms, can someone recommend an appropriate occ. sensor to use?
    My only issue with operating it from the vestibule is that people likely spend more time in the locker room(s) than in the vesitbule and it may not run when you want it to run.

    I'd probably make it run anytime locker room lights are on. The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by kwired View Post
      The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
      Use 2-pole switches, with the second poles connected in parallel.

      Lights independent, fan in common. Simple OR gate.
      Master Electrician
      Electrical Contractor
      Richmond, VA

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by kwired View Post
        My only issue with operating it from the vestibule is that people likely spend more time in the locker room(s) than in the vesitbule and it may not run when you want it to run.

        I'd probably make it run anytime locker room lights are on. The thing is you appear to have 1 fan and 2 rooms - some relay logic maybe needed to do this unless you want both rooms lights to operate at same time.
        Good idea, but I don't want to over-engineer this. The doors to the locker rooms are on the right and left side of the vestibule, the sensor would pick up movement from anyone entering that area, regardless of which locker room they enter, would start the fan, we would set it up to run for 30 min. The elec. contr. we used on the recent remodeling project sent me info on a couple of different sensors that are rated for use for that size of motor.
        Mt. Falls, Va.
        "Not a sermon, just a thought"
        A licensed electrically-related individual

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
          The doors to the locker rooms are on the right and left side of the vestibule, the sensor would pick up movement from anyone entering that area, regardless of which locker room they enter, would start the fan, we would set it up to run for 30 min.
          That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
            That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.
            Which might be a good idea.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
              That also guarantees that the fan will run for 30 minutes every time someone leaves.
              True, this is not a huge concern. Hopefully at some point, we will install a relay system tied to our EMS, and have the fan operate under the occupied TOD schedule for lighting, and HVAC operation
              Mt. Falls, Va.
              "Not a sermon, just a thought"
              A licensed electrically-related individual

              Comment


                #8
                If you’ve ever walked in to a gym locker room early in the morning the smell is atrocious. I’d keep the fan running 24/7.
                [COLOR=#000000]The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.[/COLOR]

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Tony S View Post
                  If you’ve ever walked in to a gym locker room early in the morning the smell is atrocious. I’d keep the fan running 24/7.
                  I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                    I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.
                    Previous tenants installed the locker rooms/fan, it used to run 24/7, I've been directed not to do that.
                    Mt. Falls, Va.
                    "Not a sermon, just a thought"
                    A licensed electrically-related individual

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
                      Previous tenants installed the locker rooms/fan, it used to run 24/7, I've been directed not to do that.
                      Buy breathing apparatus before you next enter the locker-room……………..

                      I did 3 to 4 hours a day weight training, I didn’t smell like a bunch of roses after a full work out.
                      [COLOR=#000000]The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.[/COLOR]

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
                        True, this is not a huge concern. Hopefully at some point, we will install a relay system tied to our EMS, and have the fan operate under the occupied TOD schedule for lighting, and HVAC operation
                        Originally posted by steve66 View Post
                        I was also thinking the HVAC engineer probably selected the fan and airflow based on it running 24x7.
                        Originally posted by mtfallsmikey View Post
                        Previous tenants installed the locker rooms/fan, it used to run 24/7, I've been directed not to do that.
                        Don't know size of the facility, hours of operation, but if anything a programmable wall switch style timer may cost less than the occupancy sensor and can be set to run a while before the place opens for the day.
                        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Occupancy sensor for just the fans or fans and lights? If I were in the locker area for 31 minutes by myself and the lights went out, I would be a VERY unhappy camper. I probably wouldn’t care about the fans going off though, unless I was in there for another 30 minutes, so it might actually help prevent lingering. There are some lingerers at my gym. They just hang around yakking and primping to the point where they are in there when I arrive and change, then when I come back in to shower, they are still there! It only bugs me when I can’t get a locker during the busiest hours, but I wish those guys would just go yak somewhere else.
                          __________________________________________________ ____________________________
                          Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

                          I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Watt Stopper, RIBs

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by kwired View Post
                              Don't know size of the facility, hours of operation, but if anything a programmable wall switch style timer may cost less than the occupancy sensor and can be set to run a while before the place opens for the day.
                              Actually, from my research, the timer is more $$ than the occ. sensor, motor rated that is.

                              Originally posted by Jraef View Post
                              Occupancy sensor for just the fans or fans and lights? If I were in the locker area for 31 minutes by myself and the lights went out, I would be a VERY unhappy camper. I probably wouldn’t care about the fans going off though, unless I was in there for another 30 minutes, so it might actually help prevent lingering. There are some lingerers at my gym. They just hang around yakking and primping to the point where they are in there when I arrive and change, then when I come back in to shower, they are still there! It only bugs me when I can’t get a locker during the busiest hours, but I wish those guys would just go yak somewhere else.
                              No lights, just the fan will be on this. My bet is we'll set it up to run on the HVAC TOD schedule when we get tenants, building currently empty.
                              Mt. Falls, Va.
                              "Not a sermon, just a thought"
                              A licensed electrically-related individual

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X