Service drop conductor clearences from final grade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwertytfc

For a residential backyard only subject to foot traffic the Nec states 10' clearences of conductors yet the power company states 12' in their requirements. Is this a case where the power company trumps the nec in this instance/jurisdiction? Attached is a screen shot of power companies requirement. Any input would be appreciated. I would assume that my weatherhead/drip loop would have to be at 12' based on power companies paperwork.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-05-22-20-23-11.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-22-20-23-11.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_2019-05-22-20-19-17.jpg
    Screenshot_2019-05-22-20-19-17.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 0

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In most cases the service drop condcutors are outside of the purview of the NEC.

90.2(B)Not Covered.
This Code does not cover the following:
(5) Installations under the exclusive control of an electricutility where such installations
a. Consist of service drops or service laterals, and associated metering, or
b. Are on property owned or leased by the electricutility for the purpose of communications, metering,generation, control, transformation, transmission, ordistribution of electric energy, or

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Most POCO's require not less than a 12' sag in the triplex from the pole to the house. However, there are many instances where houses are located fairly close to one another (i.e. cities and small townships) and where houses are close to the street. Where a utility pole is on the same side of the street and close to the house (let's say 20' or less) and where the triplex runs up to that particular house the POCO will allow the point of attachment on the house to be at 10'. BUT, I would contact the POCO rep. and make sure it's OK before you go ahead and do that.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In most cases the service drop conductors are outside of the purview of the NEC.

Would that apply to weatherhead height also then I assume?

You would have to determine where the service point is, on an overhead service this is usually where the POCO service drop connects to the SEC's so the weatherhead is governed by the NEC rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.