EV charger on old apartment main panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

scale

I am looking to install an EV charger (either NEMA 14-30 or 14-50) at my apartment. It has a 200A main panel and I have a 70A breaker for the subpanel in my unit.

My original plan was to upsize the 70A main breaker to 125A, add a new 125A subpanel right next to the main panel, and pull my original subpanel circuit and new EV circuit from the new subpanel. However, on closer look, a label on the main panel shows the max branch circuit ampacity is 70A.

So my question is... how can I get a 240V EV charger installed while still being in code compliance?

I thought about dropping my apartment's breaker to a 40A and installing a NEMA 14-30, for a total of 70A for the main breaker. My apartment is very efficient so I think 40A would do, though I do have an electric range and AC, so there's a chance it would trip from time to time. Not sure how else I can go about this. I have to have it permitted to be eligible for a rebate from my utility.

Thoughts??

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.