Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wire pulls and turn in EMT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wire pulls and turn in EMT

    I have 5 #8 running in 1" EMT. I have to do a 180. Can I do two 90's with elbows, one after the other?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	elbow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2388844
    Similar question for 3/4". In this case I have 3 #6 and 1 #8. Can I take that around an elbow?


    If the answers are no. Do you have some alternatives?

    #2
    Sure, why not. Those fittings that you are showing are not really 90s or elbows they are commonly referred to as pulling Ls. Because of that removable cover this is considered a "pull point". As a matter of fact you do not want to try and pull through it. You feed the cable out and then push it through to the next "L".
    The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

    Comment


      #3
      Look in the LB fitting that you want to use. They will have a max size and # of that size marked. The 1 1/2" I am looking at says MAX SIZE CONDUCTOR 3#1/0 AWG.


      IMO:
      I would not use the back to back fittings you pictured. Small stranded wires and short distance only are doable with those. Definitely not Max conduit fill.

      For the # of wires you have, I would be inclined to j-boxes for any length of pull unless the distance between them are relatively short. Could you do it, sure. Worth the effort, probably not.
      Tom
      TBLO

      Comment


        #4
        Certainly lots of variables such as other bends in the pull, distance apart for the 180, aesthetics, etc, but I would be more inclined to use a box or wireway to make the 180.

        Edit: Tom, I guess great minds think alike!
        Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

        "You can't generalize"

        Comment


          #5
          I too would use a J-box (for the reasons stated).

          Comment


            #6
            Reply and another question

            Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
            Certainly lots of variables such as other bends in the pull, distance apart for the 180, aesthetics, etc, but I would be more inclined to use a box or wireway to make the 180.

            Edit: Tom, I guess great minds think alike!
            Thank you everyone for the responses. Also, I noticed that the 1" elbows do not have set screws (oversight when purchased). I cannot find anything on line. Are those still acceptable for EGC bonding?

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by ESolar View Post
              Thank you everyone for the responses. Also, I noticed that the 1" elbows do not have set screws (oversight when purchased). I cannot find anything on line. Are those still acceptable for EGC bonding?
              Made up wrench tite, yes.
              Tom
              TBLO

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by ESolar View Post
                I have 5 #8 running in 1" EMT. I have to do a 180. Can I do two 90's with elbows, one after the other?
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]22980[/ATTACH]
                Similar question for 3/4". In this case I have 3 #6 and 1 #8. Can I take that around an elbow?
                Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                . Small stranded wires and short distance only are doable with those. Definitely not Max conduit fill.

                I have put 3 #6 and 1 #10 in 1" elbow with no problems.

                Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.
                The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                Comment


                  #9
                  An LB would be slightly easier to pull through than a pulling elbow.
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by growler View Post
                    I have put 3 #6 and 1 #10 in 1" elbow with no problems.

                    Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.
                    In a real LB, that combination goes in 3/4 just fine, but the short fitting like pictured wouldn't take #6 very easily without risk of damaging it trying to get it in there. Even 3/4 and 1/2 inch with 12 and 14's installed doesn't work so well with those short bodies if near max conduit fill.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by growler View Post
                      I have put 3 #6 and 1 #10 in 1" elbow with no problems.

                      Naturally they will be stranded but the insulation type makes all the difference. THHN is about the easiest to pull.
                      You had no problems because a 1" elbow allows #6. But don't try that in a 3/4" elbow. Did that once by accident and was glad the inspector didn't notice. Wires got pretty scuffed in the process but it tested okay and didn't fault. Looked at the elbow markings afterward and realized why I had such a tough time.

                      Moral of the story is that when using these things you've got to watch out because conduit fill tables will tell you that you can run a 3-wire circuit plus ground with a wire size larger than the pulling elbow allows for that size raceway. Doesn't happen with normal LB fittings so far as I've noticed.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
                        You had no problems because a 1" elbow allows #6. But don't try that in a 3/4" elbow. Did that once by accident and was glad the inspector didn't notice. Wires got pretty scuffed in the process but it tested okay and didn't fault. Looked at the elbow markings afterward and realized why I had such a tough time.

                        Moral of the story is that when using these things you've got to watch out because conduit fill tables will tell you that you can run a 3-wire circuit plus ground with a wire size larger than the pulling elbow allows for that size raceway. Doesn't happen with normal LB fittings so far as I've noticed.
                        Are short bodies like pictured even available larger than 3/4? I never seen one.

                        Also never seen any wire size information on a short body fitting.
                        I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by kwired View Post
                          Are short bodies like pictured even available larger than 3/4? I never seen one.

                          Also never seen any wire size information on a short body fitting.
                          I haven't either, but I haven't looked either.
                          Tom
                          TBLO

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by kwired View Post
                            Are short bodies like pictured even available larger than 3/4? I never seen one.

                            Also never seen any wire size information on a short body fitting.
                            I've seen the ones with a removable cover in 1" at the box store.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Reply

                              Well - I was asking the question after the install. And yes, the wires got a little scuffed. That is three #6 and a #8 in 3/4 (not 1"). Conduit fill for the straight run is OK. The Elbows are not labeled and it is tight. Will it pass? Who knows.

                              Also - a related question: Some elbows have no threads, only set screws. Others have threads and set screws. Can one use the threaded with set screws directly with the EMT, or does one have to use (two) connectors (with set screws, one for each end)?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X