Using breaker as AC disconnect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using breaker as AC disconnect

hi guys, we currently have two (2) 10 ton AC units that my client wants removed and replaced with four (4) 5 ton units. Currently, 2 60A circuits are feeding the disconnects and powering the units. Can I take the existing wiring and power a 60A main lug outdoor panel and run 2 separate breakers to feed 2 units from that panel? I have only ever used fused disconnects for outdoor equipment. Is there a code violation doing this? The panel box will be installed directly in back of the condensers.

That is fine, assuming the new feeder has the ampacity required.
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

and assuming the HVAC unit nameplates show circuit breaker over-current is acceptable.
      There are some units that call for "Max Fuse" without giving you an option for circuit breakers.
      At my age, I'm accustomed to restaurants asking me to pay in advance, but now my bank has started sending me their calendar one month at a time.

Comment

And that the breaker is "within the line of sight".
        I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

[COLOR=red]There's no substitute for hard work....but that doesn't mean I'm going to give up trying to find one.[/COLOR]

John Childress
        Electrical Inspector
        IAEI / CEI / C10
        Certified Electrical Inspector

Comment

When I was a cub, I remember several times being on AC jobs where there was a double disconnect. Do they still make those? Usually they'd be fed by a #4, 2, 1 SE.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The name tag states fused or breaker and the panel will be approx 36” to the side of the pad where the units are.

Comment

The ability to Lock it Out is all that’s left.
              Tom
              TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                The ability to Lock it Out is all that’s left.
                I don't think that is required.
                Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

You must also make sure that the breakers are rated as type HACR. Most are these days but check anyway.
                  The world is round, you will get there no matter what path you take.

Comment

Working...
                  X