Switching a gfci receptacle??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Agreed!

They COME FROM THE FACTORY in the tripped state. When you install them you have to push the reset button with power on to activate them. After that I have never seen one trip upon reapplying power unless there was something wrong with whatever it powers.

-Hal

Comment

190524-2432 EDT

As I mentioned before one reason to ship in the tripped state is so that, if the GFCI is wired backwards, then it can not be reset. A very good safety technique that is automatic.

Comment

Originally posted by hbiss View Post
        Agreed!

They COME FROM THE FACTORY in the tripped state. When you install them you have to push the reset button with power on to activate them. After that I have never seen one trip upon reapplying power unless there was something wrong with whatever it powers.

-Hal
        Those p&s ones sure sound like they trip when they are first energized. What is that sounds then if they come tripped?
        Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

190525-0455 EDT

Take a new one from the box and do a continuity test.

Then apply input voltage with the GFCI in open space where you can easily hear and feel what happens.

Remove power and check continuity.

Depending upon what occurs it may be necessary to open the GFCI and see if you can determone what happens to produce any noise.

Comment

Working...
          X