Switching a gfci receptacle??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I'm not sure at the moment and looking for confirmation please..
The new gfci receptacles, when power is applied the first time they trip and need to be reset.
I'm would like to switch a couple gfci receptacles but not if they are going to trip every time I turn them off and then back on..

Do they only trip the FIRST time they are energized or every time they are energized??
I'm thinking only the FIRST time, but I'm not sure...

Thank you

ritelec

Please let me also ask,
I'm planning on switching the gfci receptacles supplying low voltage landscape transformers. If the gfci receptacles ONLY TRIP at FIRST energizing, would there be any issues of possibly tripping the gfci when the transformer inductive load is energized?

Thank you

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
If you want to GFCI protect the receptacles supplying your outdoor lighting transformers, I would do one of 2 things; use a GFCI breaker or use the feedthru from a conveniently mounted GFCI receptacle.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you want to GFCI protect the receptacles supplying your outdoor lighting transformers, I would do one of 2 things; use a GFCI breaker or use the feedthru from a conveniently mounted GFCI receptacle.
Good ideas! GFCI ahead of switch.

ritelec

Thank you,

My thought was power in > timer > load timer > dead front inside > exterior duplex receptacle

(was also thinking a installing a single pole switch either after load timer before dead front or after dead front before duplex receptacle as a Master OFF )

Was thinking timer before gfci... are you saying,

power in > dead front > timer > load timer > exterior duplex receptacle (and master toggle off between load timer and external duplex receptacle) is a better design ???

thanks again

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
From my use I don't see that the new GFCI trip on a power off situation. If that were the case one would need to reset all the GFCI in a house after a power failure. That is generally no the case.

gar

Occupation
EE
190524-0732 EDT

ritelec:

Why don't you run an experiment? Why did you not experiment before asking the question? What is the specific manufacturer and part number you are referring to as "new" that supposedly has this characteristic?

Logically why would you expect that a receptacle be designed such that it had to be reset after any power loss? In a low cost product do you expect that a one time memory can be included that will detect the first ever time power is applied?

I believe what has been done is to design the GFCI so that when shipped it is in the tripped state, and in this state that, if it is wired backwards, input to the output terminals, then it can not be reset because reset is also an electrical function, no power to do a reset, and not just mechanical.

Do some experiments and see how the GFCI works. Open one up and study its circuit and mechanical operation.

ritelec

I was laying out and planning to switch 3 transformers via photo cell, time clock, and master off switch contoll for each Gfci to the 3 transformers. The thought to do a Honeywell 7 day timer rated for inductive loads as the photo cell isnt rated for inductive and the time clock would need to be reset for daylight savings.
Laying out the wiring and materials needed I questioned if the Gfci would trip and googleing showed sometimes it did. Was hoping I could go in and install and turn things on without having to experiment
Headed to supply house and will pick up Honeywell or photo cell and time clock depending on how the spirit moves me. I will install timer ahead of Gfci as to not lose memory in the electronic timer or mechanical clock and leave room for moving things around in the chain if there's issues. Thank you and have a great weekend

ritelec

Edit.
Will do Gfci protection first as that was suggested and also when those transformers are installed they are set up for Gfci power in then photo cell and timer options in transformer secondly.

Thank you.

gar

Occupation
EE
190524-1626 EDT

I went to this site
file:///Users/bradra2/Desktop/341082-RevB_GFCI-Instruction-Sheet-English.pdf
I did not find any comment that first application of power trips the GFCI.

What it does say is that you are to press the RESET button after application of power, and that the GFCI should reset.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Agreed!

They COME FROM THE FACTORY in the tripped state. When you install them you have to push the reset button with power on to activate them. After that I have never seen one trip upon reapplying power unless there was something wrong with whatever it powers.

-Hal

gar

Occupation
EE
190524-2432 EDT

As I mentioned before one reason to ship in the tripped state is so that, if the GFCI is wired backwards, then it can not be reset. A very good safety technique that is automatic.

Agreed!

They COME FROM THE FACTORY in the tripped state. When you install them you have to push the reset button with power on to activate them. After that I have never seen one trip upon reapplying power unless there was something wrong with whatever it powers.

-Hal

Those p&s ones sure sound like they trip when they are first energized. What is that sounds then if they come tripped?

gar

Occupation
EE
190525-0455 EDT

Take a new one from the box and do a continuity test.

Then apply input voltage with the GFCI in open space where you can easily hear and feel what happens.

Remove power and check continuity.

Depending upon what occurs it may be necessary to open the GFCI and see if you can determone what happens to produce any noise.

Status
Not open for further replies.