Best residential load center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by norcal View Post
    IEM using GE, or Eaton/ C-H guts? Seen them with both.
    IEM manufactures their own guts. Much more robust than anything Eaton/SquareD/Siemens/GE.
    They do use GE breakers as a standard but you can specify Eaton. For a short while they were using Siemens.

A few years back I walked though a major school remodel near my house. All new panelboards were IEM with GE breakers but all the switchgear had SquareD breakers.
    Curt Swartz
    Electrical Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by peter d View Post

There are literally billions of 1" plug on loadcenters in this country, none of them I would consider true garbage. They serve the purpose for the residential market, which is huge. Any trace of Zinsco influence is long gone with the Cutler Hammer products now.
      Have you seen Millbank meter mains along with certain Siemens meter mains?

Comment

Originally posted by growler View Post
        Pete I was agreeing with you on this point. Most residential panels last as long as you could reasonably expect them to. The same goes for receptacles and switches. They were never designed to last forever.

Comment

Originally posted by mbrooke View Post
          Have you seen Millbank meter mains along with certain Siemens meter mains?
          I've installed both.

Comment

I've installed both.
            Have you not seen the breaker? Its a Zinsco incarnation.

Comment

Definitely seen it on Milbank but got any pictures of the Siemens version? Have not seen that one.

Comment

I know. Milbank kept the old design for whatever reason. Probably saved a lot of money over designing one from scratch, or using another manfucturers.

Comment

Originally posted by Birken Vogt View Post
                  Definitely seen it on Milbank but got any pictures of the Siemens version? Have not seen that one.

None that I can find. I could be thinking of an older version.

I know. Milbank kept the old design for whatever reason. Probably saved a lot of money over designing one from scratch, or using another manfucturers.

Comment

I have not seen any failures due to the Zinsco-ness of the Milbank main breaker. Do you suppose they worked the bugs out of it by now, 50 years or more later?

Comment

Originally posted by Birken Vogt View Post
                      I have not seen any failures due to the Zinsco-ness of the Milbank main breaker. Do you suppose they worked the bugs out of it by now, 50 years or more later?
                      I'd say so, Milbank makes excellent equipment and there's no way they would put a substandard breaker in their meter main products. IIRC Milbank actually bought Unicorn which had some relation to Zinsco, and that's where Milbank got their main breaker line.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff48356 View Post
                        Square-D Homeline, hands-down! That is the ONLY panel I ever install when I do service upgrades, and I have done hundreds! I have installed a Siemens before, but only when the customer requested such. I consider Siemens to be second-best. But I don't like G.E. or any other brand of panel available. I consider them to be of poor quality.

Keep in mind that Michigan doesn't require AFCI breakers at all, and many other states only require them for bedroom circuits. I have worked in such a state, and never had any problem with nuisance tripping on Square-D ones.
                        Dittoes on GE. As nearly worthless as any product out there. Only marginally better than Zinsco and Federal Pacific.

Homeline has also been a favorite of mine but I got mad at them the past year or so. They came out with the stab on AFCI breakers and now some suppliers don't always have both types in stock. If you don't think to spec pigtail type, they give you stab ons and they don't work on existing panels. Bad enough we got AFCI's forced down our throats and then Sq D had to further complicate the issue. Hooray for Michigan not requiring them. I think Indiana doesn't either.

Also, many Homeline new panels now come with those confounded plastic slot inserts at top and bottom. They are a major pain on a rewire, as different size cables don't always meet them in the right places. I've see a lot of QO panels with them too recently.

I have been leaning toward Cutler Hammer BR more in recent times. Usually available and reasonable priced. I've seen no major issues with them. I like CH but it is really pricey and many of the breakers trip to off position with no trip indicator.

I used to like Siemens OK but I got really angry with them. Supplier sent us a panel with GFCI breakers not rated for personnel. I think Siemens is the only manufacturer to queer this up. Failed inspection and supplier made us pay for new breakers. Same job, they were going to charge us $400 for a switchgear plate about 4 x 24 inches, 1 breaker opening. I used a blank we already had and cut it with a jigsaw.
                        Last edited by jmellc; 05-27-19, 04:37 PM. Reason: Add info
                        Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Comment

There are literally billions of 1" plug on loadcenters in this country, none of them I would consider true garbage. They serve the purpose for the residential market, which is huge. Any trace of Zinsco influence is long gone with the Cutler Hammer products now.
                          I specifically mentioned the BR line, that leaves out Siemens, Murray, GE, & SQ D Homeline, any of them I would use over Zinsco II.

Comment

Originally posted by jmellc View Post
                            Also, many Homeline new panels now come with those confounded plastic slot inserts at top and bottom. They are a major pain on a rewire, as different size cables don't always meet them in the right places. I've see a lot of QO panels with them too recently.
                            I completely forgot about those. I think they are an epic fail and another thing to add to my list of why I dislike Homeline. Those "quick wire" slots are great for new construction but indeed a major pain for panels changes as you pointed out.

I have been leaning toward Cutler Hammer BR more in recent times.
                            That is exactly the brand I have chosen and I have not been disappointed at all.

Comment

I specifically mentioned the BR line, that leaves out Siemens, Murray, GE, & SQ D Homeline, any of them I would use over Zinsco II.
                              That's certainly your choice, there is nothing wrong with BR at all.

Comment

I still consider the BR line Zinsco II, when Westinghouse bought Challenger, their loadcenters became the BR panels, and the BR breakers were listed and branded for Challenger, plus used Zinsco mains in 150A plus main breaker panels, so Challenger, and Westinghouse BR, were the same, when Eaton took over the Zinsco mains went away, but being advertised as "Engineered Value" is just newspeak for cheap. I prefer CH loadcenters, they are the last quality residential/light commercial panel, 2nd choice is Siemens, 3rd would be QO, after that, anything but a Zinsco II. After the end of Zinsco/Sylvania/Challenger somebody has to be at the bottom, Eaton BR fits it well as the garbage line.
                                It's BR because it came from Bryant. I don't think you have the history correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X