No announcement yet.

Dryer plug, 4 prong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The appliance bonding jumper can be confusing. We just converted a 4-wire-equipped dryer to 3-wire to suit the existing receptacle in an older home just purchased.

The dryer had an unconnected white wire in the compartment, so I landed it on the cabinet. Had it been green, I would have landed it on the neutral terminal instead.
    Master Electrician
    Electrical Contractor
    Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
      The appliance bonding jumper can be confusing. We just converted a 4-wire-equipped dryer to 3-wire to suit the existing receptacle in an older home just purchased.

The dryer had an unconnected white wire in the compartment, so I landed it on the cabinet. Had it been green, I would have landed it on the neutral terminal instead.
      Older units always had a metal strap for a bonding jumper and was obvious, ranges typically still use a strap.

If not so clear I always check for continuity from frame to neutral terminal to be sure.
      I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Ok. 250.140 exception looks like the best option. Thanks again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes, with rare exception, the correct procedure is to install the cord that matches the existing circuit and receptacle.
          Master Electrician
          Electrical Contractor
          Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
            Yes, with rare exception, the correct procedure is to install the cord that matches the existing circuit and receptacle.
            What I would do, even if the house were built in 2010 and had three wire receptacle, unless there were gross negligence in wiring installation that says more troubles than just 3 vs 4 wire receptacle are present.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Installing the correct cord on the dryer is still "doing it right." Just do THAT "right" by installing the bonding jumper.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff48356 View Post
                It looks like you'll need to rewire the circuit with #10-3 Romex cable. And if it was built in 1996, I'm surprised it doesn't already have 4-wire, since the requirement for 4-wire ranges and dryers went into effect in 1994.
                Not every structure built was wired to the 'current' code of the day. Some AHJs are 10-20 years behind in code cycles. If there was any code being enforced at all at the time.

And it's not always the NEC. Threre's plenty of home-grown codes to go around.

Comment

While the best option is a new 4-wire circuit, the existing is code compliant so another option is convert the dryer to 3-wire, I did not read most of the other posts, never really liked 3-wire receptacles, but they are still OK as existing.

Comment

Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                    Yes, suggest, but don’t loose sleep over the three wire.
                    I have a 3 wire dryer circuit in my house and my level of concern is 0 - 10. I have far more important issues to worry over.
                    Yes, I'll be happy to do a first class job for less than anyone else and take a dollar a week for 10 years.

Comment

I would put a 3-wire cord on it and call it a day. It's an existing installation.

Comment

Working...
                      X