Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dryer plug, 4 prong.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Dryer plug, 4 prong.

    Hey there. I know this is a common situation but I'm a little rusty. Customer moved into a house built in 1996. The Dryer receptacle is 3 prong. And there is not a ground wire. It is in a single gang plastic box. The Customer has a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. Thank you .

    Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

    #2
    Option 1: Take a Cat D9, raze the house, and build a new one with a 4-wire circuit.

    Option 2: Run a new 4-wire circuit in the existing home.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
      Hey there. I know this is a common situation but I'm a little rusty. Customer moved into a house built in 1996. The Dryer receptacle is 3 prong. And there is not a ground wire. It is in a single gang plastic box. The Customer has a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. Thank you .
      It looks like you'll need to rewire the circuit with #10-3 Romex cable. And if it was built in 1996, I'm surprised it doesn't already have 4-wire, since the requirement for 4-wire ranges and dryers went into effect in 1994.

      Comment


        #4
        This might be a good time to suggest to the customer to run a new cable with ground to the dryer location and install a four prong receptacle. 1996 is before I started in the field but I am surprised that there would not be a ground there. The only other way would be to bound the neutral to the frame of the dryer and replace the four prong cord with a three. I believe the exception on pre existent wiring is still there, but to update is better but that is not knowing the details of what that all entails.


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Family man View Post
          This might be a good time to suggest to the customer to run a new cable with ground to the dryer location and install a four prong receptacle. 1996 is before I started in the field but I am surprised that there would not be a ground there. The only other way would be to bound the neutral to the frame of the dryer and replace the four prong cord with a three. I believe the exception on pre existent wiring is still there, but to update is better but that is not knowing the details of what that all entails.


          Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yes, suggest, but don’t loose sleep over the three wire.
          Tom
          TBLO

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
            Hey there. I know this is a common situation but I'm a little rusty. Customer moved into a house built in 1996. The Dryer receptacle is 3 prong. And there is not a ground wire. It is in a single gang plastic box. The Customer has a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. Thank you .

            Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by jeff48356 View Post
            It looks like you'll need to rewire the circuit with #10-3 Romex cable. And if it was built in 1996, I'm surprised it doesn't already have 4-wire, since the requirement for 4-wire ranges and dryers went into effect in 1994.

            The OP list his location as El Paso so who knows what code was adopted at the time the home was built? Have to check with the AHJ to find out what code cycle was enforced at the time.

            If the dryer cable was legal at the time of install then a 3 prong dryer plug can be installed on the dryer.
            The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
              Hey there. I know this is a common situation but I'm a little rusty. Customer moved into a house built in 1996. The Dryer receptacle is 3 prong. And there is not a ground wire. It is in a single gang plastic box. The Customer has a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. Thank you .

              Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
              Check NEC 250.140 Exception: for existing 3 wire outlet.

              Comment


                #8
                You are permitted to use a 3 wire plug on the new dryer. If the customer wants it brought up to current code then a new cable and 4 wire cord and plug is needed.
                Rob

                Moderator

                All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

                Comment


                  #9
                  Thank you for your response. The Customer wants it done right.

                  Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Pretty certain 1996 NEC is when the change was made. Was and still is exceptions for existing installations.

                    These appliances leave factory without any cord because you need to select which one applies where you are going to place it.

                    If the house was built in 1996, may or may not have been on 1996 NEC yet. Some areas may still been on 1990 or even 1987 NEC.

                    If you do put three wire cord on the dryer, don't forget to re-install neutral to frame bonding jumper.

                    Occasionally you find whoever put the 4 wire cord on didn't remove the bonding jumper - kind of defeats the purpose of using a 4 wire supply.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
                      Thank you for your response. The Customer wants it done right.

                      Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk
                      it was done right at the time of installation.
                      Tom
                      TBLO

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
                        Customer moved into a house built in 1996. The Dryer receptacle is 3 prong.
                        Originally posted by chuckgassmannm View Post
                        The Customer wants it done right.
                        I just looked up the installation instructions for a new LG dryer and they state that a 4 wire circuit would be required for homes built after 1996.

                        If the customer wants to pay for the added safety that's great but I don't think it would be required .

                        It normally comes down to how much of the house will have to be torn apart to install a new circuit.
                        The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by growler View Post
                          I just looked up the installation instructions for a new LG dryer and they state that a 4 wire circuit would be required for homes built after 1996.

                          If the customer wants to pay for the added safety that's great but I don't think it would be required .

                          It normally comes down to how much of the house will have to be torn apart to install a new circuit.
                          That instruction is assuming 1996 code was in effect in 1996. Some places it wasn't. Others maybe wasn't early in the year but was late in the year.

                          Some places can be nearly 10 years behind on which code is in effect.
                          I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by jeff48356 View Post
                            And if it was built in 1996, I'm surprised it doesn't already have 4-wire, since the requirement for 4-wire ranges and dryers went into effect in 1994.
                            Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                            it was done right at the time of installation.

                            I think Jeff got his dates wrong. It's hard to keep all those dates straight.

                            I don't have a 93 code book but every reference I can find points to 1996 (after) as being the first years a 4 wire circuit was required. Here the 1996 code wouldn't have been adopted or enforced until 1 January of 1997.
                            The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by growler View Post
                              who knows what code was adopted at the time the home was built? Have to check with the AHJ to find out what code cycle was enforced at the time.

                              If the dryer cable was legal at the time of install then a 3 prong dryer plug can be installed on the dryer.
                              Originally posted by kwired View Post
                              That instruction is assuming 1996 code was in effect in 1996. Some places it wasn't. Others maybe wasn't early in the year but was late in the year.

                              Some places can be nearly 10 years behind on which code is in effect.

                              Thanks I never would have thought of that.
                              The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X