Check Out This Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I didn't think we had this problem here in NC. My understanding was it was mostly south of us. I am sure some of you know what's happening here.

enhance

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
you talking about the old style ground wires wrapped around the screw? or is that the fiber strain relief in the cable landed on the neutral ground bar?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Those black wires are equipment grounding conductor's. I believe this is the result of the chinese sheetrock that came in years ago. Most of it was in the deep south and caused havoc in the homes on plumbing wiring and air condition coils. The sheetrock is emitting a sulphur gas that causes the blackening of the conductors. Look closely at the grounded conductors and they are all coated with black at the terminations

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Had to read responses to know what was wrong,

Being color blind, in the photo those black wires looked DARK green to me, so all looked to be OK..

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I sometimes come across this in Ohio also.

seems to be more likely with homes in the country on well water that has some sulfur.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Those black wires are equipment grounding conductor's. I believe this is the result of the chinese sheetrock that came in years ago. Most of it was in the deep south and caused havoc in the homes on plumbing wiring and air condition coils. The sheetrock is emitting a sulphur gas that causes the blackening of the conductors. Look closely at the grounded conductors and they are all coated with black at the terminations

Dennis, I seem to remember there were some issues with the Chinese sheetrock in NC.

Roger

growler

Well I hear the Chinese have done a lot of building in the last few years so I wonder how they deal with the problem of Chinese sheet-rock. :lol:

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I had a Chinese drywall job recently where I was asked to replace all the devices and strip back the wire to get clean copper.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
... I wonder how [the Chinese people] deal with the problem of Chinese sheet-rock. :lol:
Maybe they only export the high-sulfur variety and don't use it themselves, much like the bogus bolts of twenty (?) years ago.
(were I a lot more cynical, I might suspect they were deliberately exporting a high-sulfur variety as part of a vicious trade war)

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Maybe they only export the high-sulfur variety and don't use it themselves, much like the bogus bolts of twenty (?) years ago.
(were I a lot more cynical, I might suspect they were deliberately exporting a high-sulfur variety as part of a vicious trade war)

I avoid buying products from China especially food. They can't be trusted to not adulterate it. Chinese toys arrive here with lead paint and jewelry with metal lead. Here's one example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Chinese_milk_scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.