EP in small residential 'wiring' closet

Status
Not open for further replies.

deacoes

Does a door violate the min depth of 36"? New construction Tampa/FL and looking to repurpose a typical broom closet into wiring closet along with panel. Other wiring would be on side walls.

Attachments

• ep.JPG
    ep.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 2
  • ep2.JPG
    ep2.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 2

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
If you are asking whether the presence of a door within 36" of the front of the panel would be a violation of working space, that answer is no. Nobody will try to work on the panel when the door is closed, and when the door is open there is plenty of space in front of the panel. But as Frank pointed out, you need a total of 30" left-to-right for the entire depth of 36 inches. A door frame that does not have a full 30" of clear space would result in a violation.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the door is 28 inches wide and the space from the panel to the inside wall of the door is less than 36" then I believe it is a violation

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Dennis, take a look at Frank's post #2. The figure "28" is not a size in inches, but rather a designation (not unlike a 2x4 to a carpenter).

retirede

Dennis, take a look at Frank's post #2. The figure "28" is not a size in inches, but rather a designation (not unlike a 2x4 to a carpenter).

I disagree. The numbers in post 2 would correspond to the rough in dimensions.
A 28” door finished opening is 28-1/4 minus the stops or about 27-1/2” in most cases.

Barbqranch

Occupation
Plant maintenance electrician Semi-retired
The door is designated as 2668. If that were inches, then it would only be 5 foot 8 inches tall, rather than 6 foot 8 inches. To make the 30 inch opening, though, the door should be a 2868. That would be nominally 32 inches wide, leaving plenty of room for the stops and hinges.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
To make the 30 inch opening, though, the door should be a 2868. That would be nominally 32 inches wide, leaving plenty of room for the stops and hinges.
Would it not have to be 2872, or some similar designation that assures 72 inches of height while standing in the doorway?

RumRunner

Occupation
Retired EE
Would it not have to be 2872, or some similar designation that assures 72 inches of height while standing in the doorway?

72 inches (6ft) is not a standard residential door height. Save for a repurposed attic room for the college kid who moved back with mom and dad.:cool:

The 2872 is a door chart for door hangers.
2872 is equal to 32 inches wide by 7 ft 2 inches high.

28 is 2 ft 8 inches while 72 is 7 ft 2 inches.

Think rebar chart.
Construction steel workers call the sizes in whole numbers.
Sizes are in eighth of an inch increments (eg #3 is 3/8, #5 is 5/8. . .#8 is 8/8 0r 1 )

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The door is designated as 2668. If that were inches, then it would only be 5 foot 8 inches tall, rather than 6 foot 8 inches. To make the 30 inch opening, though, the door should be a 2868. That would be nominally 32 inches wide, leaving plenty of room for the stops and hinges.

I agree a 20 door is 2'0" or 24" so a 2668 is a 2'6" x 6'8" or 30" x 80". Given that and assuming that is in front of the panel then IMO the install is compliant

Buck Parrish

I wouldn't let you install it in a closet. Even if you call it a wiring closet. Then every one with a panel in a closet can sat that's a wiring closet :happysad:

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
well.....i suppose i'm a 'closet spark' then....:ashamed:

today's gem...>

yQBnUhj.jpg

ZEKnb4U.jpg

F5HQhwv.jpg

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.