Chapter 9 Note 4 60% Rule

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantum

Where conduit or tubing nipples having a maximum length not to exceed 24 in are installed...... the nipples shall be permitted to be filled 60 percent........

What do we define as a nipple? Does this mean I can have a union, lb, and 8" of LFMC filled to 60%, so long as they are not over 24" combined? How about an 18" ECLK with a 4" long union? Or does it apply to a straight, single piece of conduit only? I'm not finding a definition of a nipple in the code book. SOS

kwired

Electron manager
I'd say a nipple is a short length, and is not a specific length, but the thing is it specifically gives a length of 24" (or less) for this situation.

IMO a coupling or union is considered a part of the raceway/tubing. A conduit body would not be a part of the raceway/tubing though. So if you had 24 inches of conduit, a "C" conduit body then 24 more inches of conduit - though you sort of have same thing as 48+" of raceway technically you have two 24" lengths and a point where you can start over with measurement in the middle. May not be what NEC intends but is what it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.