3 phase motor problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
I have a customer that has a 240 V three phase motor that has been running fine up until yesterday. Suddenly, it starts really slowly and will trip the breaker most of the time. Once in a while it’ll start up and get to full speed and it runs fine. I don’t recall the horse power offhand but the nameplate said it was around 18 A. When it starts, it’s pulling 115 A and is slow to get up to speed. I pulled the wiring cover off the motor, thinking maybe there was a cap inside that I could replace but there are only wires. Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Nothing has changed with the wiring and the voltage on all three phases is correct.....

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
... it starts really slowly and will trip the breaker most of the time. Once in a while it’ll start up and get to full speed and it runs fine. ...
Electrically, on a 3 phase motor the only thing that could cause this is a bad connection, i.e. a partial single phasing condition. If one phase was completely lost the motor would not start at all, but if one phase is connected but not well, i.e. high resistance, it might try to spin, but is not creating enough torque. The fact that it SOMETIMES works fine would make me look at the contacts in the motor starter.

I don’t recall the horse power offhand but the nameplate said it was around 18 A.
That's either a really inefficient 5HP motor or a really efficient 7-1/2HP motor.

When it starts, it’s pulling 115 A and is slow to get up to speed.
that's basically Locked Rotor Amps, normal, other than the fact that it doesn't get to speed.

I pulled the wiring cover off the motor, thinking maybe there was a cap inside that I could replace but there are only wires.
There would not be any caps inside of a 3 phase motor...

Any suggestions on what might be the problem? Nothing has changed with the wiring and the voltage on all three phases is correct.....
If it's not a bad contact in the motor starter, it's going to be a mechanical problem; either a bad bearing somewhere as previously mentioned or something in the load that is causing the motor to stall, in which case it is not an electrical issue.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
You can differentiate between a mechanical problem and partial single phasing by measuring current in all three phase lines to the motor.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

retirede

What is the driven load? It may be that there is some mechanism to reduce the load for starting that is not functioning properly.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You can differentiate between a mechanical problem and partial single phasing by measuring current in all three phase lines to the motor.
Yes, that would be my starting point. That and the voltage. It could be a bad connection somewhere/anywhere on the supply side.
Or just a bad motor. How much would it cost to replace it? Probably less than several site visits.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Thank you for all of the input. A little more info on this. It's a 7.5 hp motor that has a fan wheel on it for a filtering system so it's not under any real load at start up. I can spin the fan wheel and it spins easily and for quite a long time before it comes to a stop.

I checked the voltage on the line side of the motor contactor and it's good. I'll try to stop there again today and see if I can get some voltage readings while it's starting up.

Thanks again.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
Bad connection somewhere in the circuit, maybe a bad bearing.

Did you check voltage and current on all three phases?

Has anything else in the building changed?

Nothing else has changed in the building. I'll try to stop there today and do some more checking.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
My first thought was single phasing too. I checked the voltages on each phase and they were good but haven't done so under a start up condition to see if there's a bad connection. I'll try to stop there again today to do some more testing. Thank you.

Electrically, on a 3 phase motor the only thing that could cause this is a bad connection, i.e. a partial single phasing condition. If one phase was completely lost the motor would not start at all, but if one phase is connected but not well, i.e. high resistance, it might try to spin, but is not creating enough torque. The fact that it SOMETIMES works fine would make me look at the contacts in the motor starter.

That's either a really inefficient 5HP motor or a really efficient 7-1/2HP motor.

that's basically Locked Rotor Amps, normal, other than the fact that it doesn't get to speed.

There would not be any caps inside of a 3 phase motor...

If it's not a bad contact in the motor starter, it's going to be a mechanical problem; either a bad bearing somewhere as previously mentioned or something in the load that is causing the motor to stall, in which case it is not an electrical issue.

ammklq143

Occupation
Electrician
I went back this morning. The load side of the motor contactor had one phase that wasn’t making a good connection. I took it out from under the screw, stripped it, and reinstalled it and it works again. Thanks for all of the help and input. Greatly appreciated.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I went back this morning. The load side of the motor contactor had one phase that wasn’t making a good connection. I took it out from under the screw, stripped it, and reinstalled it and it works again. Thanks for all of the help and input. Greatly appreciated.
Glad it worked out. :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.