Is the neutral in 240v circuit a CCC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the neutral in 240v circuit a CCC?

In dryer and range circuits, is the neutral considered a current carrying conductor for derating purposes?

Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
    In dryer and range circuits, is the neutral considered a current carrying conductor for derating purposes?
    Nope! Free lunch!
    Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

IMHO, either the neutral is unused and does not carry current or it is part of an MWBC and is not counted. However an MWBC may not be strictly allowed to carry 240V line to line loads. The principle that any increase in neutral current must correspond to reduced current in one of the hots would still apply.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Comment

Does your dryer have a 110 volts load?

Comment

If it's from a 1Ø, 240 volt system then the neutral does not count as a CCC. If it's from a 3Ø, 208Y/120 volt system then it does count. Since you said 240 volts you're good.
          Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
            If it's from a 1Ø, 240 volt system then the neutral does not count as a CCC. If it's from a 3Ø, 208Y/120 volt system then it does count. Since you said 240 volts you're good.
            I agree, same appliance generally can be used on either system and neutral will be a CCC if supplied from a wye system.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby ocampo View Post
              Does your dryer have a 110 volts load?
              If this is in the US of A, most dryers do. The motor, and computer is a 120vac load. The only load internal of the machine that is 240vac is the heater itself, which is typically around 5400 watts depending on brand. Some machines imported from overseas, such as Bosch or a lot of the 24 inch Apartment units, only use 240vac.

Comment

Seems to me if the dryer needs a neutral connected, then the neutral is a CCC. If the dryer does not have a neutral terminal, then the neutral remains unconnected and is not a CCC.
                BB+/BB=?

Comment

Originally posted by mivey View Post
                  Seems to me if the dryer needs a neutral connected, then the neutral is a CCC. If the dryer does not have a neutral terminal, then the neutral remains unconnected and is not a CCC.
                  Doesn't matter. As GoldDigger said above, any neutral current is current not being carried by a line conductor, so the neutral still need not be counted on 1ph.
                  Master Electrician
                  Electrical Contractor
                  Richmond, VA

Comment

If dryer needs a neutral connected then yes it does carry current. OP's question AFAIK is whether it needs counted as a CCC when it comes to ampacity adjustment purposes. On a 120/240 singe phase system, it only carries unbalanced current between the ungrounded conductors. In a wye system with only two of the phase conductors as the circuit, it doesn't carry imbalance current and has to be counted as a CCC for ampacity adjustment reasons.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

10 replies already and nobody has cited the code section.

310.15(B)(5).

Comment

Originally posted by jaggedben View Post
                        10 replies already and nobody has cited the code section.
                        You know us - we weren't asked for it.
                        Master Electrician
                        Electrical Contractor
                        Richmond, VA

Comment

Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
                          Doesn't matter. As GoldDigger said above, any neutral current is current not being carried by a line conductor, so the neutral still need not be counted on 1ph.
                          You are correct of course. I had a complete mental lapse.
                          BB+/BB=?

Comment

Technically, if it has a neutral, then it's not a 240v circuit. It's a 120/240v circuit. Jez sayin'.

Comment

But then you would be sending current down the noddle and not the other hot leg.

Comment

Working...
                              X