40AMP GFCI AT MAIN FEEDING SUB PANEL FOR POOL EQUIPMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szymon

Installed a 2 pole 40GFCI breaker in the main panel and feeds the subpanel for pool equipment. It then splits up with other breakers inside of sub for Pump+gas heater,lights,outlet

The inspector is failing me for not having individual GFCI breakers or other means for the pool equipment.

I cant seem to find any problems with the way its done.

Can anyone shed some light?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum!

In my opinion, what you did is compliant. GFCI protection is required, and is what you provided. There's no requirement for individual devices.

It might be inconvenient or problematic with a single device coping with the total leakage current on all circuits and components, but not illegal.

Ask inspector for specific code reference, or appeal. Don't be afraid to civilly ask for inspector's supervisor's (chief electrical inspector) opinion.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I believe that the wording in Article 680 requires GFCI protection in the branch circuit. The EI should tell you what the violation is.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I believe that the wording in Article 680 requires GFCI protection in the branch circuit. The EI should tell you what the violation is.

Yeah, this issue has come up but it is only relevant to the light in the pool. I think most inspectors feel that a gfci on the feeder really does put gfci protection on the branch circuits as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.