AFCI/GFCI 's tripping after

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

House that I wired & power was turned on August of 2018. After 10 months, I received a call that the Homeline dual purpose AFCI/GFCI breakers (one to the dishwasher & one for the 3 island receptacles) were tripping.
I just have a GFCI tester that I plugged in and things checked out, the breakers tripped when they were suppose to. I had the homeowners run the dishwasher from a separate circuit that the disposal was on & they said that the dishwasher ran through 2 uses OK.
A LED, night light plug into the circuit that feeds the island receptacles, is the only thing (that I know about) that is being used on that circuit.
:? Any suggestions? :?
Thanks

JDB3

Anything electronic can mess with AFCI. Swap the dual function breaker with a straight GFCI breaker and see if it still trips. If it doesn't call Sq D and get some new breakers.

It is in the county with no inspection, but, the state (Texas) is by the 2017 code, requiring AFCI/GFCI protection for kitchen area. Had tried my GFCI tester with 3 GFCI fault, & it held on all 3 receptacles. Must be an AFCI fault occurring like the previous post stated (LED & nigh sensing light). :happysad:

synchro

Occupation
EE
I also suspect the night sensing light could be causing the AFCI breaker to trip. When the light is just on the threshold of switching near sunset it may be creating noise on the branch circuit which the breaker is misinterpreting as an arc. Years ago a friend of mine had a sensor activated light that interfered with neighbor's TVs near sunset, so they definitely can be noise generators.

JDB3

Thanks one & all. I am tending to lean toward LED / electronics also. After 10 months, something.
Years ago, young couple who had been in their house a month, called the general contractor that breaker for master bedroom was tripped. When he tried to reset it, sparks flew.
Asked the builder to make sure everything was unplug-ed & then try it. Same results.
Went out there, took panel cover off, no sign of sparks/arcing.
Went to master bedroom, unplug-ed "new lamp". Circuit held! Plugged into dedicated circuit, breaker tripped!
Charged service call.

Status
Not open for further replies.