Inspector crazy or me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Going from memory, the NEC allows a 6 pound rating on 1-gang boxes. So, the inspector is not right as long as you're within that rating.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The Q&A in your link says not for fixtures. I agree. Most likely would work until you’re well past retirement.

I'm not sure which question you are referring to. The only question I see that is related is "Is this structurally sound enough to mount a vanity sconce on". Since the question was not answered by the manufacturer but instead by a bunch of random people I don't take the answers as authoritative.

What first comes to mind is that fixture boxes have #8 screws not #6, but I am not sure 8's are required for fixtures anywhere. 410.36(A) sends you to 314 but nothings specifically requires #8 screws or a box specifically desinged for a fixture. Maybe dig into the listing/instructions for a single gang box and see if says not for fixtures?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
What does the fixture weigh?

314.27(A)(1) Vertical Surface Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire or
lampholder outlets in or on a vertical surface shall be iden-
tified and marked on the interior of the box to indicate the
maximum weight of the luminaire that is permitted to be
supported by the box if other than 23 kg (50 lb).
Exception: A vertically mounted luminaire or lampholder
weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be
supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured
to other boxes, provided that the luminaire or its supporting
yoke, or the lampholder, is secured to the box with no fewer
than two No. 6 or larger screws

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
From the Home Depot description: "The Zip Box Blue 1-Gang 20 cu. in. Old Work Non-Metallic Switch and Outlet Box are designed to work with non-metallic sheathed cable in accordance with Article 314 of the NEC."

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
What kind of fixture are you hanging? And, how is it secured?

Some bar lights can be secured to the box or to the wall. I've had to scoot fixtures slightly to where they don't line up with box holes and then secured them to the wall.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Did he fail the inspection or did he just make a comment ?

He failed the inspection.

What kind of fixture are you hanging? And, how is it secured? Some bar lights can be secured to the box or to the wall. I've had to scoot fixtures slightly to where they don't line up with box holes and then secured them to the wall.

This is irrelevant. The exception says 6lbs max. Does not give a further exception for attaching to the wall.

https://carlonsales.com/techinfo/faqs/FAQ-ZipBoxes.pdf Last page - 6lbs. and acceptable for wall mounted fixtures.

That's the exception I want to use, but that's a different box. It would have been helpful for convincing inspector if the same product.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This is irrelevant. The exception says 6lbs max. Does not give a further exception for attaching to the wall.
I say that, if the box isn't supporting the fixture, its fixture rating is not relevant. The exception need not apply because the rule doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.