Delta Wye Transformer Phase to Phase Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

jason.durby

Occupation
Electrical Superintendent
Hey guys, this is my first post.

Question: I have a 1500 kVA delta (HV)-wye (LV) transformer and the neutral is high resistance grounded. The local utility is on the primary side of the transformer. Recently, during a rain/lightning event, the utility had a phase to phase fault on their distribution line. The fault lasted half a second. During this event, a breaker that was downstream of the transformer tripped on short time protection.

During a phase to phase fault on the primary side of this transformer, would I have seen any/enough fault current on the secondary side of this transformer to trip any of my breakers? Would lightning have caused this trip?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
What type of load was the breaker feeding?

During a primary side fault, you would not expect to see an fault current on the transformer secondary. However, your loads will experience a loss of voltage associated with the primary side fault. Three phase motors will continue to rotate during this condition and will likely draw more current possible resulting in your breaker trip.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Hey guys, this is my first post.

Question: I have a 1500 kVA delta (HV)-wye (LV) transformer and the neutral is high resistance grounded. The local utility is on the primary side of the transformer. Recently, during a rain/lightning event, the utility had a phase to phase fault on their distribution line. The fault lasted half a second. During this event, a breaker that was downstream of the transformer tripped on short time protection.

During a phase to phase fault on the primary side of this transformer, would I have seen any/enough fault current on the secondary side of this transformer to trip any of my breakers? Would lightning have caused this trip?
Could it be tripping on unbalanced phase voltages like phase loss?

kwired

Electron manager
What type of load was the breaker feeding?

During a primary side fault, you would not expect to see an fault current on the transformer secondary. However, your loads will experience a loss of voltage associated with the primary side fault. Three phase motors will continue to rotate during this condition and will likely draw more current possible resulting in your breaker trip.
High inertia loads also will act sort of like a generator if there is a loss in the normal supply. May not supply the lost leg all that efficiently, but may increase current drawn from working lines also, kind of turns it into a phase converter during such an event.

Status
Not open for further replies.