Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to run lighting on a wooden deck?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Best way to run lighting on a wooden deck?

    Ive got a friend that is selling his house and the inspector said the lights he put on his deck need to be in conduit, what hes done is jumped of a light that was on the side of his house and rand what looks like thick underground type romex under his deck and then come up the sides of the posts and up into the center of two lights around his deck. I told him that sealtight would be the easiest way does anybody else have any ideas. The look some thing like this.


    Click image for larger version

Name:	Aurora-Titan-Deck-Lights-At-The-Deck-Store-Online.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	2388894

    #2
    Yeah, Sealtite is going to look real good on a deck post. And I don't know how you would transition out into the bottom of the Sealtite and out again into the fixture. What box would you use? Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house. The wiring for those lights is supposed to go down through the post and out under the deck. If he has wood 4x4s get your auger bit and extension out and aim real good!

    Those look to be LV lights. Makes it easier.

    What inspector?

    -Hal

    Comment


      #3
      If this is a physical damage concern, could you take a 2x4 and route a grove for the wire and then cover it? It would possibly look better than sealtight or conduit.

      Oh yea, I would fasten it with screws and not nails.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by hbiss View Post
        Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house.
        I believe Hal as an excellent perspective on this.

        Comment


          #5
          Is this a home inspector that said it requires conduit?
          Rob

          Moderator

          All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
            Ive got a friend that is selling his house and the inspector said the lights he put on his deck need to be in conduit, what hes done is jumped of a light that was on the side of his house and rand what looks like thick underground type romex under his deck and then come up the sides of the posts and up into the center of two lights around his deck. I told him that sealtight would be the easiest way does anybody else have any ideas. They look some thing like this.
            Originally posted by hbiss View Post
            Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house.
            I have just removed a lot of old exterior light fixtures for home inspection reports and it does seem to work.

            If the owner wishes to keep the lights then seal tight will work, it doesn't need to be the best looking thing in the world just another gig that can be written off.
            The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
              Ive got a friend that is selling his house and the inspector said the lights he put on his deck need to be in conduit.
              Originally posted by infinity View Post
              Is this a home inspector that said it requires conduit?
              The picture shown is ‚Äčnot of the actual lights installed.

              Homeowners often don't do a very professional looking job of it when they install fixtures and the home inspectors notice it right off.
              The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                Yeah, Sealtite is going to look real good on a deck post. And I don't know how you would transition out into the bottom of the Sealtite and out again into the fixture. What box would you use? Best thing he could do is just remove the lights and throw them away as long as he is going to sell the house. The wiring for those lights is supposed to go down through the post and out under the deck. If he has wood 4x4s get your auger bit and extension out and aim real good!

                Those look to be LV lights. Makes it easier.

                What inspector?

                -Hal

                Home inspector, I told him it wouldn't look good

                Comment


                  #9
                  I'm in the beginning phase of build a new deck off my house and was wondering the same thing.

                  Is there an outdoor rated wire mold/raceway? Is that acceptable?
                  I was thinking of doing low voltage lighting but the curved pergola I have planned was to include an outdoor rated ceiling fan with line voltage.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Since you are building it yourself you have the advantage of getting creative with the carpentry and construction to conceal the wiring. Don't wait until after it's finished and then try to figure out how to run wiring.

                    For instance, you may be able to route out a channel in a post or framing member to conceal UF then cover it with thinner material. Low voltage lighting is your friend also.

                    -Hal

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by hbiss View Post
                      Since you are building it yourself you have the advantage of getting creative with the carpentry and construction to conceal the wiring. Don't wait until after it's finished and then try to figure out how to run wiring.

                      For instance, you may be able to route out a channel in a post or framing member to conceal UF then cover it with thinner material. Low voltage lighting is your friend also.

                      -Hal
                      +1

                      And with LED lighting, the voltage drop is much easier to deal with.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        I would post the pics but this site wont let me even though they are jpg files

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
                          I would post the pics but this site wont let me even though they are jpg files
                          There is a file size limit for uploaded images. Reduce the size or resolution or find a photo hosting site that allows public viewing.

                          Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

                          Comment


                            #14
                            What is the code for running open romex on trusses under a porch like you would in a garage basement, the inspector is saying it needs to be in conduit but the porch is on the second story of the house so underneath the porch is tall

                            Comment


                              #15
                              If it's outside it should be UF not Romex. Have you got that right?? As long as it is UF I wouldn't think it would be subject to damage where it is so I don't see the need for conduit. If it really is Romex it can't be there at all.

                              This is a home inspector so tell him to p*** off!

                              -Hal

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X