It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

growler

What is that wire that looks like it is connected directly to the buss? On the right side and two sections above bottom breaker.

About the arc fault breakers. Where was the home built? They may not require AFCI protection but the local authorities may be different. I don't know if you could get the power turned on without AFCI protection here since it's a new home.

growler

Good question. It almost looks like a staple connecting both phases, but since the lights are on ... can't be.

I couldn't understand what he was talking about "staples" but now it makes sense.

If you only run a 120V single phase in for power you would have to jumper A phase to B phase to have power on both legs.

I have done this but I always back fed it in through a breaker. A little 20 amp double pole would be about right and it could be jumpered there.

I still don't know how they get a staple to stay in place.

growler

The temporary power is the appliance cord back feeding a breaker on the left side.

I noticed the cord back feeding the breaker. That's why I asked about the other wire on the other side of the panel, near the staple.

I'm thinking these guys may win the "rig of the year" award. Maybe even a Darwin award. At least an honorable mention.

kwired

Electron manager
I noticed the cord back feeding the breaker. That's why I asked about the other wire on the other side of the panel, near the staple.

I'm thinking these guys may win the "rig of the year" award. Maybe even a Darwin award. At least an honorable mention.

I think, especially with a double wide or other multi section unit, they (the set up guys) sometimes do this not as any kind of permanent use thing but rather to make sure interconnections between sections are working. If connected to a 5-15 or 5-20 receptacle as the source, you certainly have limitations on what you will be able to run.

growler

I think, especially with a double wide or other multi section unit, they (the set up guys) sometimes do this not as any kind of permanent use thing but rather to make sure interconnections between sections are working. If connected to a 5-15 or 5-20 receptacle as the source, you certainly have limitations on what you will be able to run.

I have back fed many panels so I could run power from a portable generator to get an idea of the condition of the electrical system. Especially houses that have been without power for a number of years.

I have never used any staples to jumper between phases. Jumper is used at the breaker back feeding the panel (insulated).

The fact that this is temporary is understood.

The use of staples between buss sections is not really a good connection and may well arc and damage the buss sections (other than looking rather unsafe).

kwired

Electron manager
I have back fed many panels so I could run power from a portable generator to get an idea of the condition of the electrical system. Especially houses that have been without power for a number of years.

I have never used any staples to jumper between phases. Jumper is used at the breaker back feeding the panel (insulated).

The fact that this is temporary is understood.

The use of staples between buss sections is not really a good connection and may well arc and damage the buss sections (other than looking rather unsafe).
I guess I wasn't defending the use of the staple as a jumper but did not make that clear, I was simply stating a possibility of why they were using such a low ampacity supply. If permanent supply conductors are not installed yet simple solution to connect both buses is a jumper between main lugs or maybe between output lugs of a double pole breaker (that is not a MWBC) you aren't going to run whatever load is connected to that breaker anyway.

Many won't be all that particular with one wire per terminal with this temp setup anyway and may install jumper between terminals of same breaker they are backfeeding, or some breakers may have two wires per terminal rating anyway, such as QO/Homeline that are 30 amp or less.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
Enlarging the photo to 300% shows the device better. The device appears to slide on the bus. The "staples", wire jumpers, look like they are welded to the slide on connectors.

Seems like a lot of time was spent on making the shorting device if its' only purpose is to connect/tie the L1 and L2 bus together to temporarily feed the panel with 120V.

Also notice there appears to be at least 3 female connectors that are installed on the bus. I can't make out exactly how or what the bottom jumper, "staple", is connected to?

Were they installed at the factory?

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Enlarging the photo to 300% shows the device better. The device appears to slide on the bus. The "staples", wire jumpers, look like they are welded to the slide on connectors.

Seems like a lot of time was spent on making the shorting device if its' only purpose is to connect/tie the L1 and L2 bus together to temporarily feed the panel with 120V.

Also notice there appears to be at least 3 female connectors that are installed on the bus. I can't make out exactly how or what the bottom jumper, "staple", is connected to?

Were they installed at the factory?

Field installed, I’m sure. I didn’t notice damage of any kind and my help didn’t mention any when he removed them.

Jamesco

Occupation
Master Electrician
Field installed, I’m sure. I didn’t notice damage of any kind and my help didn’t mention any when he removed them.

Do you think it was made in the field? I don't see how.

Is/was it a welded together assembly? Did your worker save the thing? If he didn't destroy it when he removed it from the panel, and maybe saved it, can you take a close up picture and post it.

Also looking closer to the 300% enlarged picture what is the bottom jumper, "staple", fastened to?

Status
Not open for further replies.