Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sleeves

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
    In a complete raceway system, yes. As a sleeve, depends if the thing it's sleeving is properly terminated independent of the sleeve.
    My inspector oked the rx, but did say my short strapped greenfield with conn. and rx stapled looked better but not to code, as greenfield had to terminate in a box. Was in 1982 so code could be different now.

    Comment


      #17
      [COLOR=#ff0000]I can hardly wait for robot electricians to take over. I can see it all now.

      Danger Will Robinson, BS overload, this does not compute.[/COLOR]
      The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

      Comment


        #18
        Rereading 334.15(B) I just noticed "Cable shall be protected from physical damage [COLOR=#ff0000]where necessary[/COLOR]"

        "Where necessary" is not defined i.e. open to interpretation. I do remember recently having a chief inspector tell me that vertical exposed runs would be fine uncovered, but horizontal exposed portions i.e. "tool hangers" would need protection. He made me cover those with 1x4's.

        Comment


          #19
          Originally posted by growler View Post
          [COLOR=#ff0000]I can hardly wait for robot electricians to take over. I can see it all now.

          Danger Will Robinson, BS overload, this does not compute.[/COLOR]
          How about robot inspectors? Built-in NEC. Extreme consistency. All interpretations recorded and used as precedent for future rulings.

          Comment


            #20
            Steve, IMO that install is fine however, as others have said there will be an inspector somewhere that will turn it down. We use regular pvc not schedule 80---
            They say I shot a man named Gray and took his wife to Italy
            She inherited a million bucks and when she died it came to me
            I can't help it if I'm lucky

            Comment


              #21
              To be code compliant and still reasonably priced, I think you would have to use metal boxes and EMT/THHN below the top plate, penetrate the top plate and terminate in a box, and then change over to NM above the top plate.

              I would do a cost/benefit analysis to see if just running NM and then covering it with drywall would be cheaper. The labor on EMT installs is much higher than NM installs.
              Last edited by Coppersmith; 06-23-19, 09:32 AM.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
                Steve, IMO that install is fine however, as others have said there will be an inspector somewhere that will turn it down. We use regular pvc not schedule 80---
                How often does schedule 80 PVC ever get used for anything ?

                Heck, you can use schedule 40 on the outside of a house, on a fence, on gazebo. Don't they think that conduit getting chewed on by a bulldog is a little more subject to physical hazard than installed in a garage ( everyone in Georgia has a bulldog).
                The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by growler View Post
                  [COLOR=#ff0000]I can hardly wait for robot electricians to take over. I can see it all now.

                  Danger Will Robinson, BS overload, this does not compute.[/COLOR]
                  Well, robot umpires are coming to baseball...

                  Comment


                    #24
                    GFCI's?

                    Comment


                      #25
                      I use PVC sleeves and regular nail on boxes. I end the PVC right at the knockout of the boxes.

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by ggunn View Post
                        Well, robot umpires are coming to baseball...
                        Say what?

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
                          Say what?
                          Some minor league team are experimenting with ball and strike calls by automated systems. They are also trying out moving the pitcher's mound back by several feet. The point of the first is to remove inconsistencies by human umps and the other is to tilt things more in favor of the offense.

                          Personally, I do not think baseball needs these "improvements". I wish they hadn't brought in the DH or moved the Astros into the AL where it is.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
                            Larry, I didn't take you for a frequent contact with police kinda guy. Are you revealing something?
                            No, I've mellowed over the years. Yes, really. Nothing serious or frequent.

                            An occasional traffic infringement, but not on the bike, surprisingly, and not in a while.
                            Master Electrician
                            Electrical Contractor
                            Richmond, VA

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by sameguy View Post
                              I was dinged, used greenfield (sleeve) to a water heater once in a basement; so pulled it out just left rx from floor joist to rx conn. on heater.
                              Here, the opposite would happen.
                              Master Electrician
                              Electrical Contractor
                              Richmond, VA

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
                                To be code compliant and still reasonably priced, I think you would have to use metal boxes and EMT/THHN below the top plate, penetrate the top plate and terminate in a box, and then change over to NM above the top plate.
                                There would be no reason to change it from NM to THWN, the NM is fine in EMT.

                                Roger
                                Moderator

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X