Sleeves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To be code compliant and still reasonably priced, I think you would have to use metal boxes and EMT/THHN below the top plate, penetrate the top plate and terminate in a box, and then change over to NM above the top plate.

I would do a cost/benefit analysis to see if just running NM and then covering it with drywall would be cheaper. The labor on EMT installs is much higher than NM installs.

Last edited:

growler

Steve, IMO that install is fine however, as others have said there will be an inspector somewhere that will turn it down. We use regular pvc not schedule 80---

How often does schedule 80 PVC ever get used for anything ?

Heck, you can use schedule 40 on the outside of a house, on a fence, on gazebo. Don't they think that conduit getting chewed on by a bulldog is a little more subject to physical hazard than installed in a garage ( everyone in Georgia has a bulldog).

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Say what?

Some minor league team are experimenting with ball and strike calls by automated systems. They are also trying out moving the pitcher's mound back by several feet. The point of the first is to remove inconsistencies by human umps and the other is to tilt things more in favor of the offense.

Personally, I do not think baseball needs these "improvements". I wish they hadn't brought in the DH or moved the Astros into the AL where it is.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Larry, I didn't take you for a frequent contact with police kinda guy. Are you revealing something?
No, I've mellowed over the years. Yes, really. :p Nothing serious or frequent.

An occasional traffic infringement, but not on the bike, surprisingly, and not in a while. :roll:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
To be code compliant and still reasonably priced, I think you would have to use metal boxes and EMT/THHN below the top plate, penetrate the top plate and terminate in a box, and then change over to NM above the top plate.

There would be no reason to change it from NM to THWN, the NM is fine in EMT.

Roger

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How often does schedule 80 PVC ever get used for anything ?

Heck, you can use schedule 40 on the outside of a house, on a fence, on gazebo. Don't they think that conduit getting chewed on by a bulldog is a little more subject to physical hazard than installed in a garage ( everyone in Georgia has a bulldog).

I use schedule 80 for meter risers (when the weatherhead stays below the roof) and also for stub-ups from trenches to above lawnmower height.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
There would be no reason to change it from NM to THWN, the NM is fine in EMT.

I would use 1/2" EMT. Pushing 12-2 NM complete with jacket through 1/2" EMT would be a PITA. You could probably strip the jacket since it's inside a raceway, but who wants to strip 5-8 ft of NM? (Striping the jacket is a violation I believe.) THHN would be cheaper on labor.

Last edited:

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would use 1/2" EMT. Pushing 12-2 NM complete with jacket through 1/2" EMT would be a PITA. You could probably strip the jacket since it's inside a raceway, but who wants to strip 5-8 ft of NM? THHN would be cheaper on labor.
You couldn't strip it, the conductors are not individually identified in NM. I don't have a problem pushing 12/2 down a straight piece of 1/2" EMT, as a matter of fact I did a job for a friend this week where I pushed 3 pieces around 90's, granted the runs were less than 10'.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.