X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jon456
    replied
    Originally posted by LarryFine View Post
    Apparently sched 40 is looked at as being no tougher than NM, MC, or even EMT.
    EMT is permitted by [COLOR=#333333]334.15(B). But I see no reason for not permitting Sch40.[/COLOR]

Leave a comment:

• Coppersmith
    replied
    Originally posted by roger View Post
    There would be no reason to change it from NM to THWN, the NM is fine in EMT.
    I would use 1/2" EMT. Pushing 12-2 NM complete with jacket through 1/2" EMT would be a PITA. You could probably strip the jacket since it's inside a raceway, but who wants to strip 5-8 ft of NM? (Striping the jacket is a violation I believe.) THHN would be cheaper on labor.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 06-23-19, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Coppersmith
    replied
    Originally posted by growler View Post
    How often does schedule 80 PVC ever get used for anything ?

Heck, you can use schedule 40 on the outside of a house, on a fence, on gazebo. Don't they think that conduit getting chewed on by a bulldog is a little more subject to physical hazard than installed in a garage ( everyone in Georgia has a bulldog).
    I use schedule 80 for meter risers (when the weatherhead stays below the roof) and also for stub-ups from trenches to above lawnmower height.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by ggunn View Post
    Well, robot umpires are coming to baseball...
    I wonder if they'll scratch their nuts.

Leave a comment:

• roger
    replied
    Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
    To be code compliant and still reasonably priced, I think you would have to use metal boxes and EMT/THHN below the top plate, penetrate the top plate and terminate in a box, and then change over to NM above the top plate.
    There would be no reason to change it from NM to THWN, the NM is fine in EMT.

Roger

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by sameguy View Post
    I was dinged, used greenfield (sleeve) to a water heater once in a basement; so pulled it out just left rx from floor joist to rx conn. on heater.
    Here, the opposite would happen.

Leave a comment:

• LarryFine
    replied
    Originally posted by Coppersmith View Post
    Larry, I didn't take you for a frequent contact with police kinda guy. Are you revealing something?
    No, I've mellowed over the years. Yes, really. Nothing serious or frequent.

An occasional traffic infringement, but not on the bike, surprisingly, and not in a while.

Leave a comment:

• ggunn
    replied
    Originally posted by oldsparky52 View Post
    Say what?
    Some minor league team are experimenting with ball and strike calls by automated systems. They are also trying out moving the pitcher's mound back by several feet. The point of the first is to remove inconsistencies by human umps and the other is to tilt things more in favor of the offense.

Personally, I do not think baseball needs these "improvements". I wish they hadn't brought in the DH or moved the Astros into the AL where it is.

Leave a comment:

• oldsparky52
    replied
    Originally posted by ggunn View Post
    Say what?

Leave a comment:

• peter d
    replied
    I use PVC sleeves and regular nail on boxes. I end the PVC right at the knockout of the boxes.

Leave a comment:

• Cow
    replied
    GFCI's?

Leave a comment:

• ggunn
    replied
    Originally posted by growler View Post
    [COLOR=#ff0000]I can hardly wait for robot electricians to take over. I can see it all now.

Danger Will Robinson, BS overload, this does not compute.[/COLOR]

Leave a comment:

• growler
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis Alwon View Post
    Steve, IMO that install is fine however, as others have said there will be an inspector somewhere that will turn it down. We use regular pvc not schedule 80---
    How often does schedule 80 PVC ever get used for anything ?

Heck, you can use schedule 40 on the outside of a house, on a fence, on gazebo. Don't they think that conduit getting chewed on by a bulldog is a little more subject to physical hazard than installed in a garage ( everyone in Georgia has a bulldog).

Leave a comment:

• Coppersmith
    replied
    To be code compliant and still reasonably priced, I think you would have to use metal boxes and EMT/THHN below the top plate, penetrate the top plate and terminate in a box, and then change over to NM above the top plate.

I would do a cost/benefit analysis to see if just running NM and then covering it with drywall would be cheaper. The labor on EMT installs is much higher than NM installs.
    Last edited by Coppersmith; 06-23-19, 09:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis Alwon
    replied
    Steve, IMO that install is fine however, as others have said there will be an inspector somewhere that will turn it down. We use regular pvc not schedule 80---

Leave a comment:

Working...
X