arc fault breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.

enireh

cleardot.gif

the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
cleardot.gif

the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?

If you are on the 1984 code cycle like your profile says you don't need any AFCIs.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
cleardot.gif

Home inspector (privately hired by home buyer with no legal power) or building inspector (government employee with quite a bit of legal power)?

growler

cleardot.gif

"New homes" or any "new work" needs to be wired according to the latest code cycle adopted by the jurisdiction where you are working.

There have been a lot of changes on arc fault protection needed in the last few years.

So what code cycle are you working under?

kwired

Electron manager
cleardot.gif

At one time that was somewhat a general rule that you could rely on to some extent. If it didn't require GFCI protection it probably required AFCI protection. But 2014 and 2017 NEC that logic is completely useless. That logic still had some holes in it but it sort of worked most of the time when applying it to 2008 and 2011 NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.