Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

arc fault breakers

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    arc fault breakers


    the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?

    #2
    Said 'home inspector' needs to re-read 210.12.

    Comment


      #3
      those home inspectors....

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Knuckle Dragger View Post
        those home inspectors....
        Proud graduate of the Class of Tuesday, 9:30 AM.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by enireh View Post

          the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?
          If you are on the 1984 code cycle like your profile says you don't need any AFCIs.

          -Hal

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by enireh View Post

            the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?
            Home inspector (privately hired by home buyer with no legal power) or building inspector (government employee with quite a bit of legal power)?
            Master Electrician
            Electrical Contractor
            Richmond, VA

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by enireh View Post

              the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?

              "New homes" or any "new work" needs to be wired according to the latest code cycle adopted by the jurisdiction where you are working.

              There have been a lot of changes on arc fault protection needed in the last few years.

              So what code cycle are you working under?
              The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by enireh View Post

                the home inspector doing these new homes I am doing says you don't need arc fault breakers where there is gfci protection like on the disposal or dishwasher, kitchen counter where there are gfci's protecting those appliances. So like if I have a gfci outlet in the garage protecting the outlets there he says no need for arc fault breaker have you any input?
                At one time that was somewhat a general rule that you could rely on to some extent. If it didn't require GFCI protection it probably required AFCI protection. But 2014 and 2017 NEC that logic is completely useless. That logic still had some holes in it but it sort of worked most of the time when applying it to 2008 and 2011 NEC.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by kwired View Post
                  . But NEC logic is completely useless.
                  Fify.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by 480sparky View Post
                    Fify.
                    Thanks.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X