No announcement yet.

A/C wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So another question, was powering an A/C with a disconnect directly off the meter can ever code legal? I know it would fail if done today because of the disconnects not being grouped but did it ever meet code? FWIW it is a service rated fused disconnect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It could be perfectly fine, however potential issues are:

1. Grouping of service disconnects (as you mentioned)

2. How two sets are landed on the load side if the meter.

3. Now the original set is not carrying the entire load of the dwelling unit, so may be undersized if next size up rule doesn't work out.
      Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Where is the other service disco?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
          Where is the other service disco?
          Other service disconnect would be the main breaker in the panel that's below the meter in the basement.

Here in MI there is(or was in the previous code cycle at least) an exception to the grouping of disconnects rule for separately metered A/Cs but it certainly wouldn't apply here.

I hadn't thought about how it was connected to the load side, I'm sure it's simply both wires under each lug, that's the same way the utility does it when a separate meter is set for the A/C, big difference is that it's on their side of the meter in that case.

While not super common here we do see enough A/C units powered this way that it must have been found acceptable, however having the inspector pass it and have it truly meet code can be two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by brewchief View Post
            So another question, was powering an A/C with a disconnect directly off the meter can ever code legal? I know it would fail if done today because of the disconnects not being grouped but did it ever meet code? FWIW it is a service rated fused disconnect.

Per NEC, if it was ever legal I think it would have been long enough time ago that equipment in your picture wasn't being made yet.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
              Per NEC, if it was ever legal I think it would have been long enough time ago that equipment in your picture wasn't being made yet.
              A/C unit in the pic is new, old one was aprox 20 years old so I would guess that would be the time frame that was wired like that. The old A/C was also about 20 inches closer to the house heavily infringing on the working space in front of the meter and disconnect. I don't think I'd be going out on a limb by saying there was probably no permit pulled when it was installed back then.

Comment

Working...
              X