Insulation piercing connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubamos

I’m using these for reference voltage for monitoring modules, tapping into line and load side of ATS’s. First time using them, and they’re pretty slick. I’ve used a few different sizes so far, including the big boys of 750 - 4/0 main with a 10-14 tap range. I’m installing in-line fuses with each tap, between the connector and the tap conductor. I’m curious though, would this fall into the NEC tap rules?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
IMHO, the conductors from the tap connector to the inline fuse would be considered tap conductors while the listed tap connector itself is likely not. But an inspector may not have a problem with a short length having too high a current ratio for tap rule compliance. Any one with experiences to report?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's done all the time for the voltage taps when using CTs.

Don't know if that addresses the code-compliance question.

paulengr

It's a judgement call but it's not really a current carrying conductor. Milliamps to the voltage sensor.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I’m using these for reference voltage for monitoring modules, tapping into line and load side of ATS’s. First time using them, and they’re pretty slick. I’ve used a few different sizes so far, including the big boys of 750 - 4/0 main with a 10-14 tap range. I’m installing in-line fuses with each tap, between the connector and the tap conductor. I’m curious though, would this fall into the NEC tap rules?

We use them for supply side connected PV (solar) systems nearly all the time. They fit inside the MDP and they don't require a shutdown. Yeah, they are pretty slick.

Status
Not open for further replies.