article 336 Tc er cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gushud

Tc er cable is being used on mini splits I’ve gone to a few jobs where the cable was run by other electrician with the line set out door I assume it’s ok outdoor but indoor I see it being run next to lineset in the basement under joist
I’m reading art 336.10(9) where it should be installed with same requirements as article 334 which permits smaller than 6/2 under hoist

I’m also been told they are using it in commercial building in drop ceiling but 336.12 says not permitted except 336.10(7) so does 336.10.7 which says a threw f apply which would make it ok to put in a commercial drop ceiling

shortcircuit2

Tc er cable is being used on mini splits I’ve gone to a few jobs where the cable was run by other electrician with the line set out door I assume it’s ok outdoor but indoor I see it being run next to lineset in the basement under joist
I’m reading art 336.10(9) where it should be installed with same requirements as article 334 which permits smaller than 6/2 under hoist

I’m also been told they are using it in commercial building in drop ceiling but 336.12 says not permitted except 336.10(7) so does 336.10.7 which says a threw f apply which would make it ok to put in a commercial drop ceiling

336.10(9) only allows TC-ER-JP in a 1&2 family dwelling...other than that, basically the cable has to be in a raceway or cable tray per 336.12(2)

1. TC cable is not allowed to be taped or tie-rapped to the line sets...HVAC guys do it but it is not code compliant.
2. Yes install it like romex in dwellings where allowed...support it and protect it like romex. You would not dangle a piece of romex to equipment in free air, so do not do it with TC cable.
3. There are other listed products that do the job as well and are Code compliant. Search "Duckt Strip" cable for example. Or use UF cable or romex or...

The HVAC industry decided that the TC-ER cable was best to use for the mini splits until the electrical inspectional services caught on that it was not listed to be used as it was.

TC cable was developed for cable trays, period.

Status
Not open for further replies.