Cutler hammer classified breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gushud

I am being told by the supply house these classified breakers can go in any Siemens ge Murray snap in panels but they really haven’t provided any documentation that this is the case anyone have experience with this if this was the case it would be easier to just stock the truck with classified breakers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Aren't they a lot more expensive? And harder to get? Wouldn't it be easier to be able to stop in any big box store and get the breakers you need?

Gushud

They are more expensive for sure but just going to a job and having the breaker just saves time up here in ma each supplyhouse caries a different brand unless I go to a homedepot and that can be time consuming

kwired

Electron manager
They are more expensive for sure but just going to a job and having the breaker just saves time up here in ma each supplyhouse caries a different brand unless I go to a homedepot and that can be time consuming

They might be worth it to keep in stock on a service truck. When I went to link in RJ's post, they are not in stock in my store, quite possibly not in stock in many stores, but they can ship them to you, with shipping charges unless you have over $50 order, so that changes how you may want to handle this option some. If they are not in stock in your store you regularly use, you need to order them long enough before you need them or else you are still looking at just buying a Siemens, GE, etc. as needed.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
They might be worth it to keep in stock on a service truck..

Have not seen an Eaton AFCI type CL, nor standard 2-poles for that matter.

Don't believe type CL come with Neutral-bus connections on the breaker either.

kwired

Electron manager
Have not seen an Eaton AFCI type CL, nor standard 2-poles for that matter.

Don't believe type CL come with Neutral-bus connections on the breaker either.
AFCI wasn't part of the conversation, I think you are out of luck if wanting to have classified AFCI breakers.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Interesting. The description says they trip to the off position (instead of center). I wonder why.

They appear to be only 20% more expensive. Less than I thought.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Some AHJs have issues with Classified breakers though, you should ask. The way it works is that all PANELS are ONLY UL listed with the breakers made for it, meaning the same mfr. But BREAKERS can be made and tested to use in competitive panels if the BREAKER mfr tests them in SPECIFIC panels made by competitors (at their own expense). Those breakers are called "classified", instead of "listed". Somewhere in the documentation they will list those SPECIFIC models of competitor's panels that they can be used in. You CANNOT (contrary to what salesmen tell you) use them willy-nilly anywhere they might fit.

But because the PANEL will have a sticker on it that specifically states the ONLY breakers that can be used are those made by the same mfr and UL LISTED for it, some AHJs will not allow classified breakers to be used. Arguments can be made and won on that point, but arguing with an AHJ is often a losing proposition because even if you win the argument, you are likely going to suffer in some other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.