Wiring 2 family outdoor disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gushud

If I’m wiring 2 condenser outside for two different units with two different meters each unit haveing there own meter do I need one service receptacle which is one ok per 210.63? also can I run one 3/4 inch pipe and put all the circuit in there and t off to each disconnect so I only penetrate the building once or should I make two separate penetration with two different pipes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
If I’m wiring 2 condenser outside for two different units with two different meters each unit haveing there own meter do I need one service receptacle which is one ok per 210.63? also can I run one 3/4 inch pipe and put all the circuit in there and t off to each disconnect so I only penetrate the building once or should I make two separate penetration with two different pipes

Two meters means two of everything. Keep it all separate.

Gushud

I know that’s obviously the best scenario but was just wondering if there’s a code article that prevents it

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I would keep the runs separate for the A/Cs but I have a hard time with two separate 120V service receptacles if they will be right next to one another. Code says you only need one and I understand that you would have to put it on one or the other's meter. But it gets used so infrequently it shouldn't be an issue. If there is a house meter I would put it there.

-Hal

nickelec

I've had dimming issues before caused by loose neutral connections and/or rotted out enclosures where grounding was compromised but in the case it's most likely VD

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RobA

Occupation
Electrician
I think code says that the receptacle needs to be within 25’ of the AC unit. One receptacle should satisfy this code requirement as long as both AC units are within 25’ of the receptacle.

How many monkeys does it take to wire a gas station?

tw1156

Two meters means two of everything. Keep it all separate.

I'm seconding this with the reason being if Tenant 1 ever decides to move out (assuming they're the one with the single receptacle noted as being preferred by others), there is no requirement for them to maintain power to a device that is no longer required by them. What happens to Tenant 2 if there is no working receptacle at that point, would the AHJ know to come back and tell them, go ahead and rewire this receptacle so it's on your circuit? I don't see that happening. I think ptsonsparky's right on point here.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If I’m wiring 2 condenser outside for two different units with two different meters each unit haveing there own meter do I need one service receptacle which is one ok per 210.63? also can I run one 3/4 inch pipe and put all the circuit in there and t off to each disconnect so I only penetrate the building once or should I make two separate penetration with two different pipes?
As stated above, you should have separate receptacles unless there is a house panel, but yes, you can make a single penetration and tee out of it to two separate disconnects and receptacles.

Here's a sub-question: would it be legal to place one receptacle in the middle, and split-wire it so one half is fed from each unit? That would make it inconvenient to de-energize when necessary.

retirede

Wiring 2 family outdoor disconnect

What happens to Tenant 2 if there is no working receptacle at that point,

Then the HVAC technician uses his 100’ extension cord that he carries for use on the millions of homes wired before the service receptacle requirement was added to the NEC design manual.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Then the HVAC technician uses his 100’ extension cord that he carries for use on the millions of homes wired before the service receptacle requirement was added to the NEC design manual.

No, he uses the receptacle with the alligator clips he carries around for just that situation. Sometimes the terminal screws are even taped over. He may use it anyway, because the GFCIs trip otherwise.

Last edited:

retirede

No, he uses the receptacle with the alligator clips he carries around for just that situation. Sometimes the terminal screws are even taped over. He may use it anyway, because the GFCIs trip otherwise.

I’ve not seen that, but I have seen them use the female half of an extension cord with alligator clips on the other end!

brewchief

As an A/C guy I will not use a receptacle that is powered from a panel thst I don't have access to, if the breaker were to trip I can't reset it and have no idea what else could be on the same circuit. The last thing I want is a call from a neighbor saying that I used their plug and tripped the breaker and they have a freezer full of thawed meat.

For the same reason I won't use a water spigot that's on s different unit.

I've seen A/C disconnects with a GFCI receptacle, they might be an option for a job like this to reduce the clutter and the number of penetrations through the wall.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.