Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring 2 family outdoor disconnect

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Wiring 2 family outdoor disconnect

    If I’m wiring 2 condenser outside for two different units with two different meters each unit haveing there own meter do I need one service receptacle which is one ok per 210.63? also can I run one 3/4 inch pipe and put all the circuit in there and t off to each disconnect so I only penetrate the building once or should I make two separate penetration with two different pipes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    #2
    Originally posted by Gushud View Post
    If I’m wiring 2 condenser outside for two different units with two different meters each unit haveing there own meter do I need one service receptacle which is one ok per 210.63? also can I run one 3/4 inch pipe and put all the circuit in there and t off to each disconnect so I only penetrate the building once or should I make two separate penetration with two different pipes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Two meters means two of everything. Keep it all separate.
    Tom
    TBLO

    Comment


      #3
      I know that’s obviously the best scenario but was just wondering if there’s a code article that prevents it


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

      Comment


        #4
        I would keep the runs separate for the A/Cs but I have a hard time with two separate 120V service receptacles if they will be right next to one another. Code says you only need one and I understand that you would have to put it on one or the other's meter. But it gets used so infrequently it shouldn't be an issue. If there is a house meter I would put it there.

        -Hal

        Comment


          #5
          I've had dimming issues before caused by loose neutral connections and/or rotted out enclosures where grounding was compromised but in the case it's most likely VD

          Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by nickelec View Post
            I've had dimming issues before caused by loose neutral connections and/or rotted out enclosures where grounding was compromised but in the case it's most likely VD

            Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
            ?? Wrong thread maybe?
            Tom
            TBLO

            Comment


              #7
              Yes for sure

              Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

              Comment


                #8
                I think code says that the receptacle needs to be within 25’ of the AC unit. One receptacle should satisfy this code requirement as long as both AC units are within 25’ of the receptacle.


                How many monkeys does it take to wire a gas station?

                Comment


                  #9
                  NEC does not say that service receptacle must have power, it is just assumed, so one may be acceptable.

                  Tech is working on unit A, but unit B is vacant. Now what?
                  Tom
                  TBLO

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                    Two meters means two of everything. Keep it all separate.
                    I'm seconding this with the reason being if Tenant 1 ever decides to move out (assuming they're the one with the single receptacle noted as being preferred by others), there is no requirement for them to maintain power to a device that is no longer required by them. What happens to Tenant 2 if there is no working receptacle at that point, would the AHJ know to come back and tell them, go ahead and rewire this receptacle so it's on your circuit? I don't see that happening. I think ptsonsparky's right on point here.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Gushud View Post
                      If I’m wiring 2 condenser outside for two different units with two different meters each unit haveing there own meter do I need one service receptacle which is one ok per 210.63? also can I run one 3/4 inch pipe and put all the circuit in there and t off to each disconnect so I only penetrate the building once or should I make two separate penetration with two different pipes?
                      As stated above, you should have separate receptacles unless there is a house panel, but yes, you can make a single penetration and tee out of it to two separate disconnects and receptacles.

                      Here's a sub-question: would it be legal to place one receptacle in the middle, and split-wire it so one half is fed from each unit? That would make it inconvenient to de-energize when necessary.
                      Master Electrician
                      Electrical Contractor
                      Richmond, VA

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Firewall separation?
                        Tom
                        TBLO

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Wiring 2 family outdoor disconnect

                          Originally posted by tw1156 View Post
                          What happens to Tenant 2 if there is no working receptacle at that point,
                          Then the HVAC technician uses his 100’ extension cord that he carries for use on the millions of homes wired before the service receptacle requirement was added to the NEC design manual. [emoji3]

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by retirede View Post
                            Then the HVAC technician uses his 100’ extension cord that he carries for use on the millions of homes wired before the service receptacle requirement was added to the NEC design manual. [emoji3]
                            No, he uses the receptacle with the alligator clips he carries around for just that situation. Sometimes the terminal screws are even taped over. He may use it anyway, because the GFCIs trip otherwise.
                            Last edited by ptonsparky; 07-15-19, 04:15 PM.
                            Tom
                            TBLO

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by ptonsparky View Post
                              No, he uses the receptacle with the alligator clips he carries around for just that situation. Sometimes the terminal screws are even taped over. He may use it anyway, because the GFCIs trip otherwise.
                              I’ve not seen that, but I have seen them use the female half of an extension cord with alligator clips on the other end!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X