Grounding 4 square

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grounding 4 square

If I am running #6 coper MC to a steel 4 square or 4-11/16 steel box for a range, how do I ground to the box?

Since the EGC is solid a nut and bolt will do.
    Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

I think my MC is stranded, does the ground screw have to be green? Or an approved lug, I was wondering what other methods people are using.

Comment

Sorry you did say MC cable but I was thinking NM with a solid EGC. Yes you could just use a fork connector and a screw in the back of the box. There is no requirement that the screw has to be green.

Rob

All responses based on the 2017 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

If I install the ground to the box how to I go to the receptacle, if I go to the receptacle how to I go to the box.

Comment

I believe the EGC inside #6 MC cable is # 10 solid. I've left it long enough to wrap around the ground screw and then to the receptacle.

BTW, use the 4 11/16 box or a deep 4" square. You'll appreciate the extra space.

Comment

Originally posted by wireday View Post
              If I install the ground to the box how to I go to the receptacle, if I go to the receptacle how to I go to the box.
              You pigtail it.

Comment

I didn’t know the ground was #10 in the mc it looked like #6 as well,if it is #10 I can see pig tailing it,

Comment

Depending on the cover you use you may not need a pigtail out to the receptacle, solid contact of mounting yoke to box/cover is sufficient. If you insist on a conductor to receptacle even if not required by code, then you need to find a method to pigtail it.
                  I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                  X