Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard would it be to pull new 8 AWG conductors through 2" PVC conduit 3000'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cow View Post
    1600' between pull points a long time ago for an irrigation pivot. Now it's all cablecon.

A few times a year we'll do 750-1200' footers with no pull points in the middle. Really no different than shorter pulls, you just stand at the tugger longer pulling it in.

We do a lot of ag work, is the reason for all the long pulls.

We did one around 1/2-3/4 of a mile about 14 years ago for a similar reason as you mentioned. Wireless wouldn't work or was cost prohibitive(supposedly), so we pulled a multiconductor cable through a bunch of handhole boxes. I only remember it because it was one of the first jobs I was on as an apprentice. No splices allowed, so we had to pull the slack out at each handhole and then feed it back in. That was a ton of slack!!!! And just two of us! Haven't done anything like that since, fortunately!!!
    Wireless can work great for controls, not so great for the power circuit.
    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
      At 3000' for #8s, it almost has to be controls.
      Tom
      TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
        Yeah, but it didn't keep Tesla from trying:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...mental_Station

Recently WiTricity and others have developed products for wireless power transfer but only for very short range and relatively low power.
        But they basically use the same method that Tesla was using by transfering power between resonant circuits, but updated with modern electronics.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resona...ctive_coupling

Comment

I have done wireless a number of times for distances as short as a few hundred feet and it was generally far less expensive than having to trench and pull comm wire under ground. Too bad you can't have wireless power.
          Bob

Comment

Thank you all

. I didn't answer right way because I actually posted this question for another engineer I work with.
            • So I got in my car and went and took a drive to the area and it turns out there are manholes every 700 feet.
            • So that should help.
            • The engineer decided to use Step Up and Step Down transformers per my education on this site, so we are back to 12 AWG.

Thank you everyone. I've learned a lot on this Forums as I have stated several times.
            Thanks,
            Respectfully,
            Installer

Comment

Originally posted by Installer View Post
              • The engineer decided to use Step Up and Step Down transformers per my education on this site, so we are back to 12 AWG.
              awesome. on 480 volt 3 phase 3 wire,
              you are good for 1.4 amps. don't use it all at once.
              ~New signature under construction.~
              ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Working...
              X