Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How hard would it be to pull new 8 AWG conductors through 2" PVC conduit 3000'?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How hard would it be to pull new 8 AWG conductors through 2" PVC conduit 3000'?

How hard would it be to pull new 8 AWG conductors through 2" PVC conduit 3000'? The conduit is from 1999.
    Any ideas or suggestions would be welcome.

How hard is kind of subjective. Anything is possible. How many #8’s? How many 90’sAnd I imagine you have pull boxes in that 3000’ ft?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Installer View Post
      How hard would it be to pull new 8 AWG conductors through 2" PVC conduit 3000'? The conduit is from 1999.
      let's put the best face on it.... 480v. 3ph.
      #8 is good for 3 amps with the voltage drop.

set that aside. is there a pull string? is there a
      conductor you can use as a pull string?

is it plastic, or steel?
      underground, or overhead?
      how many pull points?

your answer will vary from "wheeeeelllll....." to "nfw",
      depending on your answers.
      ~New signature under construction.~
      ~~~~Please excuse the mess.~~~~

Comment

Very Hard,

If your conduit is that old, likely the conduit has shifted underground and it will be very difficult if not impossible to re-pull.

Comment

Originally posted by MrJLH View Post
          Very Hard,

If your conduit is that old, likely the conduit has shifted underground and it will be very difficult if not impossible to re-pull.
          And if conductors have to be pulled because old ones have failed, then the liklihood that conduits have shifted or been crushed, etc. is even higher.
          If there are existing wires have you checked that they can be pulled even a little without breaking something?

Comment

How much time do you have? One day, two weeks?
            Tom
            TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by Installer View Post
              It's all relative.

But with few details given, it's hard to know....

Comment

Originally posted by Fulthrotl View Post
                let's put the best face on it.... 480v. 3ph. ...
                Visualize putting four 3000-foot rolls of #8 wire (~600 pounds) on a pallet and dragging it across the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
                  Visualize putting four 3000-foot rolls of #8 wire (~600 pounds) on a pallet and dragging it across the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by drcampbell View Post
                    Exactly, at very least you will have to pull the weight of the conductors. Likely will be more friction within 3000 feet of pipe than the smaller surface area of that pallet with the reels on it.
                    I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

How Hard? very hard, just due to the weight of the conductors
                      Suggest digging up the conduit, about every 500 ft, put in 90s and a handhole, IE a 18x24x 12 deep concrete handhole with lid, long sweep 90s. I find handholes are easy to pull in and out as they are at grade.
                      Plus breaking up the conduit into 6 runs will help you if the new #8 doesn't pull you have narrowed it down to 500 ft.
                      Also - very important - use mule tape to pull with. Mule tape won't burn the 90s..., but first pull a rat or rag to clean out the conduit. A mandrel would be better.
                      Moderator-Washington State
                      Ancora Imparo

Comment

I was just thinking of asking this, it's along the same lines: what is the longest pull y'all have done?
                        Ethan Brush - East West Electric. NY, WA. MA

"You can't generalize"

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
                          I was just thinking of asking this, it's along the same lines: what is the longest pull y'all have done?
                          I just did a 3000' run with a 80ft elevation change. My electricians were not happy. Luckily there is this thing called hydrovac, but that is expensive. The Instrument engineer who came up with the idea said it was cheaper than doing a wireless radio system for some PLC control signals. I think there were 10 pull boxes.

Comment

I just did a 3000' run with a 80ft elevation change. My electricians were not happy. Luckily there is this thing called hydrovac, but that is expensive. The Instrument engineer who came up with the idea said it was cheaper than doing a wireless radio system for some PLC control signals. I think there were 10 pull boxes.
                            We just did some simple radio control because we did not want to trench 1400' and we would have pulled it straight through. Raise your rates a bit.
                            Tom
                            TBLO

Comment

Originally posted by electrofelon View Post
                              1600' between pull points a long time ago for an irrigation pivot. Now it's all cablecon.

A few times a year we'll do 750-1200' footers with no pull points in the middle. Really no different than shorter pulls, you just stand at the tugger longer pulling it in.

We do a lot of ag work, is the reason for all the long pulls.

We did one around 1/2-3/4 of a mile about 14 years ago for a similar reason as you mentioned. Wireless wouldn't work or was cost prohibitive(supposedly), so we pulled a multiconductor cable through a bunch of handhole boxes. I only remember it because it was one of the first jobs I was on as an apprentice. No splices allowed, so we had to pull the slack out at each handhole and then feed it back in. That was a ton of slack!!!! And just two of us! Haven't done anything like that since, fortunately!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X