European Equivalent Of THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Hi,

I am looking for European equivalent of THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 cables. Is the right cable N2XY cables?

There really isn't a european equivalent of any NEC cable. In any case, THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 are not cables. They are conductors and are intended to only be used with a chapter 3 wiring method such as conduit.

growler

There really isn't a european equivalent of any NEC cable. In any case, THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 are not cables. They are conductors and are intended to only be used with a chapter 3 wiring method such as conduit.

THHN-THWN and so forth are insulation types.

Depending where they purchase the cable they should have insulation with a similar rating.

You know for wet locations or excessive heat, oil resistant.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
THHN-THWN and so forth are insulation types.

Depending where they purchase the cable they should have insulation with a similar rating.

You know for wet locations or excessive heat, oil resistant.

I don't think they are any cables made with THHN or THWN outer insulation though.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I did some research. I think XLPE insulation looks similar to THWN. Do you agree?
XLPE (Cross-Linked Poly Ethylene) insulation is found in XHHW, or RHH/RHW conductor types and generally exceeds the specs of standard building wire like THHN/THWN, which have simpler PVC insulation, but have a Nylon (the N at the end) jacket that is used to resist abrasion when pulling.

Most of the cables found in IEC countries will in fact BE cables because they are most often sold as what is referred to as "mulit-core" cables with 3 or 4 conductors and a ground (earth) conductors surrounded by a sheath. PVC insulation on the conductors is very common there as well, but you can also get XLPE if you want it. I don't know that I have ever seen any IEC cables that have a Nylon sheath like we use though.

vidividi12

Occupation
Electrician
XLPE (Cross-Linked Poly Ethylene) insulation is found in XHHW, or RHH/RHW conductor types and generally exceeds the specs of standard building wire like THHN/THWN, which have simpler PVC insulation, but have a Nylon (the N at the end) jacket that is used to resist abrasion when pulling.

Most of the cables found in IEC countries will in fact BE cables because they are most often sold as what is referred to as "mulit-core" cables with 3 or 4 conductors and a ground (earth) conductors surrounded by a sheath. PVC insulation on the conductors is very common there as well, but you can also get XLPE if you want it. I don't know that I have ever seen any IEC cables that have a Nylon sheath like we use though.

Thank you very much indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.