Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

European Equivalent Of THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 Cables

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    European Equivalent Of THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 Cables

    Hi,

    I am looking for European equivalent of THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 cables. Is the right cable N2XY cables?

    #2
    Originally posted by vidividi12 View Post
    Hi,

    I am looking for European equivalent of THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 cables. Is the right cable N2XY cables?
    There really isn't a european equivalent of any NEC cable. In any case, THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 are not cables. They are conductors and are intended to only be used with a chapter 3 wiring method such as conduit.
    Bob

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by petersonra View Post
      There really isn't a european equivalent of any NEC cable. In any case, THHN-THWN and XHHW-2 are not cables. They are conductors and are intended to only be used with a chapter 3 wiring method such as conduit.
      THHN-THWN and so forth are insulation types.

      Depending where they purchase the cable they should have insulation with a similar rating.

      You know for wet locations or excessive heat, oil resistant.
      The 95% of people that you can't trust give the other 5% a bad name.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by growler View Post
        THHN-THWN and so forth are insulation types.

        Depending where they purchase the cable they should have insulation with a similar rating.

        You know for wet locations or excessive heat, oil resistant.
        I don't think they are any cables made with THHN or THWN outer insulation though.
        Bob

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by petersonra View Post
          I don't think they are any cables made with THHN or THWN outer insulation though.
          I did some research. I think XLPE insulation looks similar to THWN. Do you agree?

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by vidividi12 View Post
            I did some research. I think XLPE insulation looks similar to THWN. Do you agree?
            XLPE (Cross-Linked Poly Ethylene) insulation is found in XHHW, or RHH/RHW conductor types and generally exceeds the specs of standard building wire like THHN/THWN, which have simpler PVC insulation, but have a Nylon (the N at the end) jacket that is used to resist abrasion when pulling.

            Most of the cables found in IEC countries will in fact BE cables because they are most often sold as what is referred to as "mulit-core" cables with 3 or 4 conductors and a ground (earth) conductors surrounded by a sheath. PVC insulation on the conductors is very common there as well, but you can also get XLPE if you want it. I don't know that I have ever seen any IEC cables that have a Nylon sheath like we use though.
            __________________________________________________ ____________________________
            Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

            I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Jraef View Post
              XLPE (Cross-Linked Poly Ethylene) insulation is found in XHHW, or RHH/RHW conductor types and generally exceeds the specs of standard building wire like THHN/THWN, which have simpler PVC insulation, but have a Nylon (the N at the end) jacket that is used to resist abrasion when pulling.

              Most of the cables found in IEC countries will in fact BE cables because they are most often sold as what is referred to as "mulit-core" cables with 3 or 4 conductors and a ground (earth) conductors surrounded by a sheath. PVC insulation on the conductors is very common there as well, but you can also get XLPE if you want it. I don't know that I have ever seen any IEC cables that have a Nylon sheath like we use though.
              Thank you very much indeed.

              Comment


                #8
                For both THHN & THWN look for SY cable.
                The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

                Comment

                Working...
                X