Single Phase 480 - 120/240V Transformer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single Phase 480 - 120/240V Transformer

Does anyone see a problem with installing a SINGLE PHASE transformer (480V primary 120/240V secondary) fed from a 2-pole breaker from a 3-phase panel?

Originally posted by MAster12 View Post
    Does anyone see a problem with installing a SINGLE PHASE transformer (480V primary 120/240V secondary) fed from a 2-pole breaker from a 3-phase panel?
    No, no problem at all. In fact, how else would you do it?
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________
    Many people are shocked when they discover I am not a good electrician...

I'm in California, ergo I am still stuck on the 2014 NEC... We'll get around to the 2017 code in around 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by Jraef View Post
      No, no problem at all. In fact, how else would you do it?
      Rob

All responses based on the 2014 NEC unless otherwise noted

Comment

Depends on the supply voltage I suppose.

Comment

I think that what Jraef is saying is that if the primary is 1Ø, 480 volts you don't have much of a choice but to use a 2 pole breaker in the 3Ø panel.
          Rob

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
            I think that what Jraef is saying is that if the primary is 1Ø, 480 volts you don't have much of a choice but to use a 2 pole breaker in the 3Ø panel.
            You can use a three pole breaker but you ultimately only utilize two lines from the source.
            I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Originally posted by kwired View Post
              You can use a three pole breaker but you ultimately only utilize two lines from the source.
              Very true but the OP did specifically ask about a 2 pole. I'm guessing that maybe he's concerned about an imbalance of some kind.
              Rob

Comment

Originally posted by infinity View Post
                Very true but the OP did specifically ask about a 2 pole. I'm guessing that maybe he's concerned about an imbalance of some kind.
                Which is unavoidable other than to compensate by balancing any other single phase loads accordingly if possible.
                I live for today, I'm just a day behind.

Comment

Working...
                X